Power Steering Pump - Hydraulic in lieu of Vacuum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joon89

Reaction score
Hey all,
Generally I can do enough research to find the answer I am looking for, but in this case I am having some trouble and will make my first post to any forum in hopes that somebody here has some knowledge they would be willing to share. I have also done a search throughout this site and haven't had any luck. If I have over looked this topic and there is an existing thread, please point me in that direction as I don't want the redundancy any more than you all do.

1998 Chevrolet K1500 5.7 Z71
Vacuum Power Brakes

I have accidentally purchased a power steering pump for Hydraulic Power Brakes (ACDelco 15909826)
rather than Vacuum Power Brakes. I would return and purchase the correct one, but I made this purchase back in March, so that is no longer an option. I would try to sell, but this obviously isn't a common item that would be simple to flip. Which leaves me curious to know if it is possible to use this hydro pump in lieu of a vacuum pump. The only issue I am concerned with is the extra hard line that comes directly out of the side. Is there a way to safely cap that line off and if so, would this pump still perform safely and exactly the same as a vacuum pump would?

Thanks for any and all input.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Short answer is yes. The internal pump inside the housing is the exact same pump GM has been using for over 30 years. Over all these years the changes to the pump housings are made to accommodate different vehicle applications. Your pressure hose will fit just like it should going to the steering gear. The extra port on the pump housing is a non-pressure return line. Cut a piece of correct size hose and plug the end with a bolt and hose clamp both ends.

Your other option would be to remove the new pump from the hydroboost housing and install it into your original housing.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...I would try to sell, but this obviously isn't a common item...

It's called Hydroboost. It's common and people swap to that system. You could probably sell it, but probably not for what you paid for it since you don't offer a warranty or return policy.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you cap off the "extra" fitting, USE POWER STEERING RETURN HOSE because fuel hose or vacuum hose won't handle the heat that the PS system produces.

PS Return Hose will be available at any "real" parts store, probably by-the-foot. I buy it in a box of ten or twenty feet.