Positive terminal ground straps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McSweeney

Reaction score
Hey so i noticed that my ground strap that connects to the frame on my 97 broke and im not sure where it goes to or even where to buy a new one. So what im seeing is that there is a ground strap that goes from the frame to the firewall, which looks easy enough to replace. But the other one connects to the same bolt on the frame as the other strap but goes into the wire harness for the starter. It doesn’t actually go to the starter it looks like it goes back up to the battery maybe. I thought about just replacing the whole starter harness but it doesn’t look like that strap comes with it. Any advice anyone??

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A ground strap, is just that. A strap on flat open wire that runs to a ground from something else. IDK whay there would be a ground strap in the wire loom that goes to the starter. The starter gets ots ground from the engine block, and thats grounded at the front of the block and runs to the frame. This has a wire from there that runs back to the battery. If I remember rite, there are only 2 wires in that loom. A large red wire that runs back to the battery, and a small wire that runs back to the ing, key connection. There may be a 3 ed small wire in there I dont remember, but there souldnt be a ground strap in there to the best of my knowledge.

Reaction score
A ground strap, is just that. A strap on flat open wire that runs to a ground from something else. IDK whay there would be a ground strap in the wire loom that goes to the starter. The starter gets ots ground from the engine block, and thats grounded at the front of the block and runs to the frame. This has a wire from there that runs back to the battery. If I remember rite, there are only 2 wires in that loom. A large red wire that runs back to the battery, and a small wire that runs back to the ing, key connection. There may be a 3 ed small wire in there I dont remember, but there souldnt be a ground strap in there to the best of my knowledge.

You are correct! 4x4s may have a wire there too if I'm not mistaken

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Positive terminal ground straps"???

Practically all vehicles are negative-ground. Reduces corrosion. (There are a few positive-ground vehicles, generally OLD OLD OLD junk--not something the average person ever encounters.)

Therefore, for practical purposes, you'd NEVER connect a ground strap to a positive terminal.

The factory service manual will have a wiring diagram that shows where the mystery ground strap goes. (Probably to a bolt on the engine, to ground the frame and the cowl via the main, heavy cable from engine to negative post on battery.)

Last edited:

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 had a ground strap that attached to the back of the passenger side cylinder head that bolted to that frame bolt where the frame and firewall strap went to.
I'm sure if you feel on the backside of the head you find the other broken end still attached

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
the ground strap runs from that bolt on the frame up through a heat shield around the manifolds and up to the back of the passanger side head. this spot is a ***** to get to and that's why you cant find it. if that one is broken chances are good that you need to check and probably replace the others as well. I used 4 gauge insulated wire, apparently a bit overkill but I made these to last forever and I cant stand those exposed braided POS ground straps.

but ya you wording is a bit confusing.

Al