Port and polish...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could someone post up a sticky or a tutorial on how to port and polish lo5 heads for maximum power and efficiency? Thanks in advance

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/95518_small_block_cylinder_head_porting/viewall.html

They aren't much different than porting any other non-Vortec SBC head, with the exception that you can't remove the ramp in the intake ports. Essentially you'll be "pocket porting" them, which means that you remove all casting flash and smooth out the bowl (area behind the valve) trying to go for smooth curves and transitions rather than maximum material removal. Beyond that (on the way to a full on port job) most folks take the metal around the valve guide down as far as possible, and then smooth out the short side radius ( the bottom of the port as it turns into the valve bowl ). Matching the opening of the intake ports to a Felpro gasket is fairly standard (known as gasket matching, who would have guessed?) and then blending that into the throat of the port down to the bowl (where you've already been). The article explains the finer points of all of that, and a bit more. You can also find a plethora of books on the subject, if you're really interested.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the link saatr, I'm considering only doing this but may pull some junk lo5 heads from a scrapyard to practice on first...

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Thanks for the link saatr, I'm considering only doing this but may pull some junk lo5 heads from a scrapyard to practice on first...

That would be very wise.... gasket matching isn't very hard at all but porting to the max for all out flow is risky if your a rookie.... little room for error at that point.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I was bout to say gasket matching is cake, but y'all covered that

Sent from the frito crumb covered Android via Tapatalk 2