POR 15 Frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to coat my 91's frame when it gets a bit warmer out. Being a Minnesota truck with 280k on the body, the frame is scaled obviously. I have heard many good things about POR, and it seems to be the best for rusted surfaces, just clean off the scale and use POR.

But I have also heard of Zero Rust, doesn't sound like it likes to hold to rust as much though. Just looking for opinions on what you all have tried, and what kind of prep work you had to put into it.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
por is the way to go did a frame for a friend 2 yrs ago still looks great just get heavy scale off with paint scraper and wire brush

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I was thinking, just wire brush it down then go to town with the POR. Trucks far from mint, but I would like to try and keep the frame good, bodys actually in great shape, just needs new cab corners. Box is off right now so will probably hit the underside of the box at the sametime.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate por. Everyone I know who used it didnt get anywhere near what I would consider a long life out of it. I would do bed liner over the por stuff any day.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but doesnt that require much more prep work. I really don't feel like prepping the crap out of a frame with 280k on it, might end up pretty thin. I've heard the rubberized coatings tend to peel off and not stick well to an underbody, might be different on a new truck prepped before it's first few winters, but this things 20 years old. Which people say not to use POR on anything not rusted, because it just won't stick at all, which if thats true, then this should be the perfect canidate, got to keep the vehicle and application in mind. If it was something newer and the underbody was clean, I might have other options.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not much prep at all.... Im going to use a roll on bedliner on mine and Im over 300k. I will pressure wash the crap out of my frame with a heated washer and then let it dry and just roll it on. I may get crazy and grind and clean up the frame and weld in some other stuff, but as far as prep for the liner, just clean it. Maybe scrape the big flakes off.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate por. Everyone I know who used it didnt get anywhere near what I would consider a long life out of it. I would do bed liner over the por stuff any day.
I did not have any luck with POR15 either, nor did a friend. My friend had cleaned and primed his frame and I just scraped mine and both still ended up flaking off, now neither of us used anything over the POR, which may make it better since UV rays can break it down. IMO a $8 can of black spray rust coat couple times a year gets the same result and much cheaper and less work.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
not much prep at all.... Im going to use a roll on bedliner on mine and Im over 300k. I will pressure wash the crap out of my frame with a heated washer and then let it dry and just roll it on. I may get crazy and grind and clean up the frame and weld in some other stuff, but as far as prep for the liner, just clean it. Maybe scrape the big flakes off.

To be honest, even with your mileage your truck looks really clean, I can still see cab corners, you are also quite a bit south of me, even though your in Canada :p Will Roll on bedliner will stick to a rusty frame, or I mean a frame that is not sanded down?

I did not have any luck with POR15 either, nor did a friend. My friend had cleaned and primed his frame and I just scraped mine and both still ended up flaking off, now neither of us used anything over the POR, which may make it better since UV rays can break it down. IMO a $8 can of black spray rust coat couple times a year gets the same result and much cheaper and less work.

I don't like the idea of spray bombing my underside a few times a year. Once it flakes, it won't do any good to spray over flakes, just will flake in a week or two.

Anyone try Zero Rust, I been looking at that too because I'd like to do the bottom side of my box while I'm at it and that is painted, which POR hates paint.

Last edited:

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used roofing tar with with a small amount of motor oil mixed in to give it a little shine. I did my hole frame with 2 gallons and it still looks brand new. Just paint it on with a brush. The only prep work I did was i knocked all the scally spots with a hammer to make them smooth and rubbed some spots with a wire brush just to clean it a little bit. It's tough, and durable, It doesn't sand blast off either going down the roads. I also did the underside of my bed as well. Wear gloves and clothes you don't like because it doesn't come off your hands easily.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
HHmmm... thats an interesting one I havent heard before. I might have to keep that in mind, you got any close up pictures, maybe even some from a later date than it was done?

Also any of you doing POR15, did you use the Metal Prep and then Top Coat it? I know if you don't Top Coat it, it will just fail from UV (like mentioned).