Polyurethane Bushing Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homermacleod

Reaction score
I've had polyurethane bushings on my leaf springs and the shackles for about 8 months now. Driving down the road, it squeaks like crazy.

I did a quick search on the net and some people said they used marine grease on the bushings and have not had any problems since while others say that it is a temporary fix. The mechanic at work suggested using some grease that they use for various valves utilized in the oil field (that stuff is really thick and sticky and does not wash off). I also checked with an off road shop in Oklahoma and they suggested using gray anti-seize, 4 wheel parts in Houston said don't use anti-sieze, just use lithium grease.

Does anyone here have any experience with polyurethane bushings? What did you do to stop the noise, or do you just live with it?

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and I hate them. They last a long time but not worth the hassle to me. Just keep them greased, any good brand grease works but nothing will last forever have to stay on top of it! I use poly for body mounts and OEM for everything else!

senja

Reaction score
I've made thousands of polyurethane bushings, usually for Jaguar independent rear suspensions. If the bushings were marketed under the name of Concours West, I made them. As far as squeaking, any grease will quiet them down. Lithium lasts longer because it doesn't dry out. Squeaking was never a problem with the Jaguar suspensions, but a little shot of grease should take care of your problem. Poly bushings aren't a cure-all for bushing problems. In the Jaguars, unlike American cars/trucks which us a rubber/metal insert, the Jags replace a bushing which contains needle bearings inside. The needle bearings rust and bind and freeze up, requiring replacing often. Try this. Get a little squirt can and put some ATF in it. Give you bushings a little shot of ATF every now and then. ATF has oil in it.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a special kind of "grease" to use with poly bushings. It's some if the stickiest you'll ever use, but it works greats.

Sent from my iPhone

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Plenty of experience with poly bushings and plenty of squeaking. A shot of tri-flow every 40 laps does the job.

~Via Mobile

homermacleod

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to take the leaf springs off this weekend, clean them and put some grease on them.