Plow headlight wiring along with 4 high mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to wire up the headlights for my plow. They are low/high and parking/turns. I also want to wire the regular headlights for the 4 high mod.

Currently, I'm running HIDs off of the pass side headlight. I have the low beam plug running to the ballast with a relay. The driver side headlight wire is unplugged.

With the plow, I have an on/off switch inside the cabin. This is a ground kill switch. I know that I will need multiple relays to accomplish this, and I have plenty available.

How can I wire the lights in such a way that with the plow switch off, the regular headlights come on with the headlight switch. When the plow switch is on, the regular headlights do not come on, rather the plow lights do, with the headlight switch. All of this, while also having the 4 high mod?

Thanks!

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I just answered my own question...

I'm going to run the toggle to a relay which will power the plow lights. That relay will only click on if parking lights are on. The headlight switch will only control the main headlights. If plow is attached, then I'll just switch to parking lights only and flip the plow's toggle switch. This way, I can do the 4 high mod without having to get too crazy with my wiring. Keeping things simple. I guess I was complicating things before because I wanted a more sophisticated wiring/control... but I'm probably better off dumbing it down. Less components to worry about failing...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Easy peasy stuff.

1 switch, 1 relay:

You must be registered for see images attach

Flick the "plow light switch" and your OEM dash switch controls the plow lights instead of the headlights.

Parking lights et al still work as per normal.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
with 4hi:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Or, if you'd like to take all the load off the OEM switch and power directly from the batteries on a shorter harness (highly recommended):

You have to use the dash switch for the trigger in this one (ie: trigger wire comes from the yellow wire behind the headlight switch, not the engine bay wiring) and your high beams will still come on with the multifunction stalk even when the plow lights are on.

In "normal mode", the 4Hi is built in already....no need for extra relays.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
here's how mine currently is:

You can see it would be super easy to insert a relay and swap the low beam output to the plow lights.

The good thing is the wiring carrying the high current is all short and right next to the batteries. Very little drop from battery to bulbs and brighter lights is the result.

The dash switches also only see 100Ma or so since all they do is trigger the relay coils. No high current at all.

:)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Mine running HID's:

This is how my truck is currently set up.

This is how I would do plow lights with my HID's:

My HI beams would still be active in this setup, but they're pretty much useless with the plow so I'd never select them on.

Well, I think I've cluttered up this thread enough so I'll stop here.

:)

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OMG! Lots of choices! I'll have to examine each option tomorrow when I'm not half asleep...