Parts list for my front end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Sierra

Reaction score
The steering is super sloppy in my '99 K1500 so I'm planning on doing a front end rebuild. This is my first time tackling a project like this so I want to make sure I've got everything I need. I've searched though some good posts on GMT400.com and watched a few how-to videos so I think I've got everything covered. Here's my parts list so far:

L/R inner tie rod end
MOOG ES2838RL $18.51 @ rockauto.com (x2)

L/R outer tie rod end

MOOG ES2836RL $26.79 @ rockauto.com (x2)

tie rod adjustment sleeve
MOOG ES2004S $8.65 @ rockauto.com (x2)

idler arm
MOOG K6447 $43.79 @ rockauto.com

pitman arm
MOOG K6335 $30.79 @ rockauto.com

center link
MOOG DS1407 $37.79 @ rockauto.com

steering shaft
DORMAN 425185 $155.89 @ rockauto.com

stabilizer bar link
MOOG K700539 $12.59 @ rockauto.com

L upper control arm
MOOG RK620720 $33.27 @ summitracing.com

R upper control arm
MOOG RK620719 $33.27 @ summitracing.com

L/R lower ball joint
MOOG K6477 $29.79 @ rockauto.com (x2)

Am I missing anything else here? Also, are there any special tools and/or additional hardware I'll need to purchase (other than a ball joint press)?

Last edited:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
rent a pitman arm puller. Makes quick work of getting it off. Then just push it back on a far as it will go by hand, hand tighten the nut then use a socket and a breaker bar to press it back into place.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You dont need the center link if your current one isn't bent or has worn taper joints. That's a non-wear item unless one of the tie rods or pitman arm, idler arm nut was loose.

I just did the exact same thing you just did last summer to mine and i ended up also getting a quick ratio steering box from redhead because I was fighting that pitman arm and had to take the steering box off anyways so I justified that upgrade and love that I did it!

You'll need power steering fluid, the best I found was royal purple max-ez.

And make sure that doorman steering shaft is the u-joint style and not the rag joint otherwise your not really gaining much more than a 15$ rag joint replacement.

I also did polyurethane upper/lower control arm bushings, I didn't get new upper control arms but the lowers should probably be replaced too since your already going to be balls deep in this project.

And looking back on my project I wish I would have gotten the no-play tie rod adjustment sleeves (forged) rather than the cheaper stamped steel ones.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I also got ranchero rs9000 adjustable shock and a steering stabilizer kit and those were great upgrades as well, even with stock tires and no lift.

99Sierra

Reaction score
You dont need the center link if your current one isn't bent or has worn taper joints. That's a non-wear item unless one of the tie rods or pitman arm, idler arm nut was loose.

I just did the exact same thing you just did last summer to mine and i ended up also getting a quick ratio steering box from redhead because I was fighting that pitman arm and had to take the steering box off anyways so I justified that upgrade and love that I did it!

Thanks for the reply. The center link is cheap so I'm just gonna replace the whole steering linkage. I was hoping to avoid replacing the steering box as that is quite pricey. I don't see any leaks from it, but I'll keep that in mind.

And make sure that doorman steering shaft is the u-joint style and not the rag joint otherwise your not really gaining much more than a 15$ rag joint replacement.

I found this relevant post, so maybe I'll just keep the shaft as is and see how the other repairs help the steering slop:

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/dorman-425-185-steering-shaft.33164/

Last edited:

99Sierra

Reaction score
Another quick question - I've noticed that it is hard to turn the wheel when not moving or at very low speed. Is this steering box related? I'm wondering if replacing all the parts I've listed will solve this. I've also seen some other posts that also suggest the power steering pump may be bad too. Fluid levels were OK at last time I checked.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
even though the fluid levels look ok, that doesn't mean that the fluid is ok. I would recomend switching over to that royal purple max ez before replacing the pump, that really made steering easier on my truck.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Obviously if you don't mind the price, Moog is the way to go, but they do also sell entire front end rebuild kits on ebay for around $100 that have the cheaper advance auto brand parts., like 14 pieces. all ball joints, tie rods and sleeves, idler and bracket, pitman, and sway bar links

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I've always had good luck wtih OEM or Parts Master brand steering/suspension parts, but would agree that Moog would be better, as the price reflects.