parking brake light on, then turns off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blaze4g63

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have just started having some problems with my parking brake light coming on and then going off. the other day i was at a parts store and as I get 1 mile away the light come on. I turned around got back into the parking lot and then it turned off, no blinking no nothing just off.so I went in and got some brake fluid topped it off and everything was good. then tonight I was driving to work and I was going up a hill (not steep)and it come on the fluid level is not a problem its not even close to the min line but when I turn the truck off and turn it back on it goes away. how much fluid has to be gone before the light come on does anyone know? seems to be alot of fluid left for it to be coming on if thats the case. I dont think im losing fluid but maybe a little. Any ideas on this problem. I have just checked the lines, wheels and frame rails and everything looks to be dry. I did notice the other day when I was off road on some trails and I was going down a steep hill and I think the passide wheel was locking up. other then that no pedal differance or anything else has changed. Thanks

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very common on these...try pulling up on the e-brake pedal next time it comes on. Bet ya it goes off. They tend to sag a bit over the years and make the light come on.

My ex-wife's truck did this, never found a cure...So, I got rid of her.....and the truck haha!!

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very common on these...try pulling up on the e-brake pedal next time it comes on. Bet ya it goes off. They tend to sag a bit over the years and make the light come on.

My ex-wife's truck did this, never found a cure...So, I got rid of her.....and the truck haha!!

Haha that's funny
When mine did that I soon followed with the front calipers locking up on me

I had a contaminate in the braking system

Gravity bled the lines new calipers and master was my path

Hope it's ur P brake

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess it depends on if you have the model with the sensor by the master cylinder

The one that throws a fit if you don't blesd correctly

Let us know if it's the brake lever like RamAirDave mentioned

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 95. Oddly enough, I would give a quick jab with my foot and it would turn off, at least until I put a lot of pressure back on the pedal for whatever reason. Ended up pulling my abs unit, bled the brakes and never had a problem since. I'm guessing mine was just air stuck in the abs unit.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
What year? Not that I'll know the answer, but year and model will be helpful to those that do know. And mine's always on too, so their answer might enlighten me some too.