Parking Brake Cable Hard to Install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went from a 10b to a 9.5" 14bsf in my truck. I have a 98' K1500 ECSB and the donor truck was a '95 k2500 ECSB. When I tried to install my existing cables into the new axle the springs on the ends were too tight for me to pull back and attach to the lever. Even outside of the axle, just hanging free under the truck, that spring on the end is still wayyyy too tight.

Is this something that normally happens? Do I need different cables or are mine just defective?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SOMETHING is wrong, if you can't get the lever to connect to the cable because the cable is pulled too tight in the sheath.

If you don't use the park brake much, the cable could be seized in the sheath.

When I put a 14-bolt semi-float in my K1500, I connected the park brake cables with little trouble.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SOMETHING is wrong, if you can't get the lever to connect to the cable because the cable is pulled too tight in the sheath.

If you don't use the park brake much, the cable could be seized in the sheath.

When I put a 14-bolt semi-float in my K1500, I connected the park brake cables with little trouble.

I never had trouble applying it back before I did the swap, but I do remember it did not hold very strongly. It's not that it would let up over time, it just did not clamp down hard enough.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Park brake adjusted too tightly, because the service brake wasn't adjusted tightly enough?

Common as dirt for the "10 inch" 1500-series leading/trailing shoe brakes to be WAY out of adjustment.