Overhead Console install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone put a overhead console in a 88-98 gmt truck that didnt have one in the first place? Im wanting to do so because i would actually use it haha. Mines a 98 gmc sierra loaded

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes there's a ton of people who have done it! Its a very easy thing to do! Basically here is how the install goes:

1. Make a template for the rear mounting hooks, and measure it out on your headliner. Then trace the template onto your headliner and cut out the holes in the headliner.

2. Hold up the console, and slip the rear console hooks into the holes in the inner cab skin. Then using an awl, poke through the consoles front mounting screw, to locate the screw hole in the cabs inner roof skin.

3. String two wires above the headliner to the dome lamp. You have to stop the dome lamp to do this. Then you can get your constant 12V+ and ground for the map light in the console, here.

4. After the connections have been made for power and ground, you can permanently mount the console. You may or may not need to use a nutset or butterfly clip for the front screw to fasten too, some cabs have a threaded nut in the cab roof and some others don't!

I also have a few overhead consoles on hand if your looking for one!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Great write up Baron! I may wind up talking to you about one of those consoles soon to add one to my K3500..havent decided which way im going there yet.

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks alot bro appreciate it! you wouldnt happen to have pictures of an installation process?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
you should actually be able to feel the holes in the roof through the liner and just cut them out, far easier to install a console on a club cab than a reg cab, those have no holes in the roof and need to get out a cutoff wheel and make them in the inner steel.