Options for sticking lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A redline a day keeps the carbon away.
I love that. Especially if that redline comes due to WFO throttle.

Yes, I'm astounded that the lifter you removed didn't total the cam lobe. I don't understand it.

There was a time when Honda had problems with valves burning. Their solution was to tell the owners to drive more aggressively--add some RPM before shifting. They did not go so far as to say "redline it"; but the concept is similar--Americans were shifting like a Civic was a '64 six-popper pickup instead of a 1.5L cammer four popper.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 07 G35 gets redlined a time or two a day at WOT. Auto trans shifts at 7,500+ RPM. 215K miles on it now. Had the upper plenum off the other day along with the valve covers changing the valve cover gaskets. Been run on synthetic oil for the 80K miles we have owned it. I run a bottle of Techron through the gas before each oil change.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Smoke14ify

Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to hear your thoughts and opinions on this. Four years ago I had a lifter issue on my ‘93 5.7 that kind of resolved itself and went away after switching to a heavier oil. Well now that I am daily driving it again the issue has crept back up. It’s begun to do it on long interstate rides or when pulling a boat a good ways. I added some marvel mystery oil 300 miles ago and it seemed to help, it made it quieter and now it will come and go, instead of usually starting and not stopping and getting worse until I shut the truck off for hours. What are some options to consider? I can do the lifters, not an ideal decision, but that may be most feasible for my situation now. Maybe change the oil and run a fresh round of MMO through it? Long term, I guess I could start looking at swaps. Crate 5.7, 383, 454, LS 5.3, but that would be the hardest and would have to be put off for a long time. I’d love to hear what you guys think, though.

Motor has 177 on the clock, and I’m quite sure it’s the lifters by my research, it’s in the back of the motor and the louder it gets the less power the truck has. I have a link somewhere to a video. Thanks!

I have killed many lifter ticks by subbing a quart of oil with Marvel Mystery Oil during every oil change (3500 miles).

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I swapped cams in my Hemi years ago a lifter got hung up a little and ticked. I put Risoline in it for a few a few hundred miles of driving with a light foot. That stuff turned jet black cleaning out deposits despite the fact my engine had very low miles. Lifter tick went away.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m coming up on 500 miles. The truck hasn’t made a sound except for pulling a bass boat for 20 miles, it started up halfway on the trip and came and went and had stopped ticking by the time I got home, and then it never ticked taking the boat back on the same 20 mile trip. Sounds like the MMO might be working. What do you guys think on oil for this round? Factory 5w30 or 10w30? Or the old solution of 5w20? That’s what’s in it now.