Opinions on good horsepower and torque range for truck build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin Foxwell

Reaction score
Ive got a 98 k1500 ext cab Z71, and I am planning the truck build. I want to lift it (4-6" w/35-37" tires) and put a 6.2L LS or LT in it. My main use for this truck will be cruising around, sand drags, some mud, and definitely the Silver Lake dunes here in MI. Right now I'm thinking 500-600 hp would be plenty for me. I was looking at the LT376/535, the LS9 Supercharged 6.2L, or the LT4 Supercharged 6.2L.

However, my inner Tim Taylor is coming out, causing me to want to consider the new LT5 Supercharged 6.2 (yes, the 755hp monster in the new ZR1). Realistically, that will probably never happen. But....

This has got me thinking...

What is a good hp and torque range for these trucks? Also, what trans should back it? (was thinking a built up 4L80E) Furthermore, what tcase do I run? (im pretty sure the factory tcase is not made to withstand such power)

I know its a big and crazy build, but that's what makes these builds interesting. So... what do the folks of GMT400.com think?

Wiresire

Reaction score
Imo if the sky's the limit as far as budget there are more things to consider putting that much power in the mud on the stock IFS. You risk stickin the front end in a mud hole and shearing off the bolts to the front shafts. I would look at a S.A.S. for the front end. Then you would have a bullet proof front end for some big tires or 4 wheel paddles. The 6.2 is def a good motor with plenty of upgrade potential if 500hp isnt enough. If its good enough for a vette its good enough me.

Devin Foxwell

Reaction score
Lol, budget is still a bit of a concern. However, once I fix the rust, the build will come to a crawl for a while as I save for the next item. I'm alright if it takes a few years to get exactly what I want. So if an engine costs 17k, then so be it.

But it seems that the 6.2 is definitely a good engine to build up if I'm not happy.

Another thing was gearing. I'm planning on a 14bt rear w/ 4.56 gears, and it seems like I won't be able to gear the front the same without a solid axle.

But, is 500-650 a lot in these trucks?

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Like Wiresire said, your front diff will be the weak link unless you SAS. You can get 4.56 gears for it for 'light' off-roading but the first time you push those 37's with 600hp something inside will snap. You could try cryo-treating everything in and around the front diff to make it as strong as it possibly can be but it'll still be a matter of time before something breaks.

Devin Foxwell

Reaction score
Like Wiresire said, your front diff will be the weak link unless you SAS. You can get 4.56 gears for it for 'light' off-roading but the first time you push those 37's with 600hp something inside will snap. You could try cryo-treating everything in and around the front diff to make it as strong as it possibly can be but it'll still be a matter of time before something breaks.

Well... ever since I decided to build this truck up, I have had the mindset of overbuild it. I suppose if I want to build this truck to be bulletproof, I should do it right especially because there really isnt a rush to get it done.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Lol, budget is still a bit of a concern. However, once I fix the rust, the build will come to a crawl for a while as I save for the next item. I'm alright if it takes a few years to get exactly what I want. So if an engine costs 17k, then so be it.

But it seems that the 6.2 is definitely a good engine to build up if I'm not happy.

Another thing was gearing. I'm planning on a 14bt rear w/ 4.56 gears, and it seems like I won't be able to gear the front the same without a solid axle.

But, is 500-650 a lot in these trucks?

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

The right amount of horsepower is relative to each different person. Just all depends what you want it to be able to do. If you're talking swapping an lt5 in I assume budget is pretty big. Throw an hp d60 in. Back whatever engine you decide on with a 6l90e and a np 205 or ord doubler to a FF 14 bolt and you should be set. Could even do a steering 14b in the front on coils if you have the funds. I could go on but it all depends on budget and goals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk