Oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I do not know about that if that is true or not I am no expert on this but imho valve rattle on start-up means your engine is starting to get tired
GREAT!!!! thats exactly what i didnt want to hear. It's either valve rattle or lifter tick. Sounds like a tick.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I herd a few of these truck with lifter tick and while it is a bad thing I have never seen it be the cause of engine failure in person or on a video that dose not mean it cant though I suspect your engine leaks a lot of oil or burns a lot of oil or combination of the booth lack of oil would cause the tick

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sense I leak sht load of oil. I get 15w30 in quarts little thicker. I've noticed that helps the valve rattle on start up. And it raises the oil pressure about 55 60. But I've heard thicker oil will burn up the pump?

Not to worry about burning up your oil pump with thicker oil. Of course
you will want to stay within the viscosity guidelines set by the GM engineers.
(Refer to the chart over here for specifics.)

Oil pump failures on SBCs are extremely rare - it's the very definition of a
robust setup. If the engine isn't burning oil, but just leaking it, this should
be something you can put the fix to?

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
to do the job you would need a set of intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets and I would change all 16 lifters I must warn you though that this will happen again at some point in the future if you do not fix the leaking/burning oil problem