oil presser problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a 350 tbi in k2500 and when in a cold start it show its a 35 or so psi.When it gets hot its at like 15 _25 psi,the oil it has in it is 5w 20 penziol junk to me .What could be the problem with low oil pressure guage,bearings ,oil pump, oil screen, i have no idea my uncle said it should be fine but am not to safe driving this thing around with this crapy oil pressure.The motor in it runs smooth and great it need plugs and wire if thats has to do with any thing ,but tell me what yall think and how is my write up and typing doing thank

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think that oil pressure is really low at all. My jeep inline 6 would have a hot idle oil pressure of 15-20psi and was within factory specs. Not sure of the specs on the 350 but I wouldn't be too worried about it if it's not going below 10psi or you're not getting any strange knocks. You probably want to ditch that light weight oil and either go 5w30 or more than likely 10w30

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i was think on going 20w 50 castrol and call it a day,but am borded and itching for something to do.With new heavyier oil will it wear stuff out faster or will it be alright?Also think on runnning machinal guages too does any one know how to run both guages at the same time?I did this in my old chevy win it was efi but had to take the oil pressure swithch right behide the distburor and it ran out.But what am trying to say i woulnd i do it the right why?

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always heard that running a heavier weight oil than required will put excess pressure on gaskets and cause stuff to leak quicker. I've personally never ran anything higher than 10w40 in any of my vehicles so I don't know. I would think 20w50 castrol would be overkill but maybe somebody else with more experience with different weight oils will chime in.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i think you are right with the heavier oil and stess on the gaskets , that probly the reason why the rear seal when out so fast strat 50w in it and then 1 month later it went out.Now how is the 10w40 work in your truck ,thinking of running that instead and running mechaical gauges too and lose the stock ones.

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The minimum oil presser on a 350 tbi engine is 6 psi a 1000 rpms & 18 psi at 2000 rpms.You never said how many miles on engine.If you have alot of miles on it run a high mileage oil.As for weight I personally run 10/30.If the engine doesn't burn oil, smoke or knock I wouldn't worry about it to much.