Oil cooler inlet/outlet

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by Dennis Wilkie, Sep 13, 2019 at 6:42 PM.

Car Parts
  1. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Newbie

I just want to make sure I get this right since the seller is in no hurry to answer my questions now that they have my money. On this new radiator, i'm trying to figure out which are the inlet and outlet ports for the oil cooler. I had to put in a new radiator because the transmission cooler tank was cracked, and I had to install an oil filter relocation kit because the oil filter adapter isn't machined out for the lines, and I'm really not tryin to spray oil everywhere. I've already had to do 3 oil changes in 7 months due to the enormous amount of necessary repairs it needed. It's a 92 k1500 4x4 by the way

2. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

The factory in radiator oil cooler is not designed for the full flow of oil, from what I understand that factory oil filter adapter bypasses a certain amount to the cooler.

3. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Newbie

Yeah, this adapter isn't even capable of working with a cooler

Screenshot_20190804-021229_Gallery.jpg

20190802_161236.jpg

4. man-a-fre

man-a-fre Newbie

Make damn sure to blow the radiator oil cooler ports out, the new off shore radiators are usually full of plastic shards and will plug oil galleys behind cam bearings and take out rear main bearing.

5. 454cid

454cid Sooper Pooper

How do you suppose that happens given that oil coolers aren't plastic, and the tanks are molded?

6. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

Hmm, did your truck have the 28" radiator stock? If you want the cooler, I'd just get the factory adapter that is drilled and tapped and get off the shelf manufactured lines.

7. man-a-fre

man-a-fre Newbie

Cant answer that ,but it was a heavy duty radiator from autozone in a 94 k1500 of mine.

8. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Newbie

Yeah, it fit down in the brackets perfectly.

9. flyingwolf

flyingwolf Newbie

If your truck didn't have an oil cooler originally then you got the wrong radiator and don't need to replumb it or add on anything unless you want to add in an oil cooler.

There are many choices of radiator, some have both oil and trans coolers, some have only one or the other, and some have neither.

It sounds like you needed one without the oil cooler as your truck did not have an oil cooler in its original configuration.

10. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Newbie

Once again...Nothing in this truck is stock. The motor has less than 10,000 miles on it, and was built with high performance parts. There's absolutely no way I'm not running an oil cooler

Lanny likes this.