OHM testing specs for sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
1996 k1500 5.7 I have to test my IAC. What kind of ohm reading is acceptable. Was getting high idle. Also might as well test tps. What is it's spec. Anything else I should test while I'm in there?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the specs for the IAC valve for 98, I would guess it is the same for 1996...

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a link on the TPS...

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4.3L-5.0L-5.7L/tp-sensor-tests-1

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Here are the specs for the IAC valve for 98, I would guess it is the same for 1996...

Here's a link on the TPS...

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4.3L-5.0L-5.7L/tp-sensor-tests-1

Hope this helps.

Thanks man

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It'd be 1000x easier to monitor the data and command changes with a scanner capable of bidirectional controls. The latter is expensive but the former quite attainable.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I tested the resistance of coils a and b in the iac valve. They both hit right at 50 which is supposed to be okay. Is there any way they can fail besides resistance?

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tested the resistance of coils a and b in the iac valve. They both hit right at 50 which is supposed to be okay. Is there any way they can fail besides resistance?

Make sure you test A to B and C to D, then B to C and A to D. The IAC pintle could also be dirty, not allowing it to close completely.

If that tests out, the TPS could be at fault, so you'll need to test that. You should also test the coolant temp sensor while you're at it. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=425788

A high idle can be caused by issues other than electrical, like a bad intake gasket or other component that is letting air into the engine from a spot other than the throttle plate.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Make sure you test A to B and C to D, then B to C and A to D. The IAC pintle could also be dirty, not allowing it to close completely.

If that tests out, the TPS could be at fault, so you'll need to test that. You should also test the coolant temp sensor while you're at it. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=425788

A high idle can be caused by issues other than electrical, like a bad intake gasket or other component that is letting air into the engine from a spot other than the throttle plate.
Should you be able to push the pintle closed? When I had it out I couldn't move it .

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a scanner?

You can download (Android) DashCommand and the extended GM PIDs for your model to check the TPS. It's maybe $10 for the app and another $20 or so for the extended PIDs

It will show the TPS position as you press the gas pedal with ignition on and engine off. It should smoothly open, the percentage should not jump suddenly.

I don't think you can command the IAC position with it, though. That would probably require the more expensive scanners.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Commanding anything requires bidirectional controls so yes, $$$ but badass.