Off level (side to side)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda_man22

Reaction score
Hey there, i have a 1997 k1500 with a T-bar cranked and blocks out back.

The front end sits within 1/4" from side to side
The Rear is out 1 7/8" - lower on drivers side

I assume its the left leaf, but i cant find any visual cracks or any real distinct form of deformation. The frame measurement on either side match.
I havent owened this truck long, and have recently moved some 1/2 ton loads of wood pellets and for the first time it has a full tank of gas (added weight)

Is it common for these to fatigue. and sag this much
, where is the cheapest place for an OEM 4 leaf spring

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
well these trucks will set a little off due to the massive 30 gallon gas tank it sits on the drivers side

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Given its a PITA, would it make sense to rotate the spring packs every several years? Are they designated driver/passenger side? But, yeah, I can see 10+ years of a full fuel tank and a driver that hasn't in three days causing uneven fatigue...

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
yeah most gm trucks have the gastank lean to them and tou could crank your t bars to level out the front

panda_man22

Reaction score
so are you telling me almost a 2" sag is normal with a full tank...
seems excessive

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
so are you telling me almost a 2" sag is normal with a full tank...
seems excessive

Yes. It's even got its own term. It's dubbed "Chevy Lean".

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I believe its roughly 9 lbs per gallon, so a full tank at 234 lbs and the driver can definitely cause the drivers side to sag more than the passenger side. The thing is, if you replace one rear spring it will probably make it higher on the drivers side. Maybe a mild add-a-leaf is in order?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That's just a bad way around it. If his leafs are saggy and they're both worn out and at different heights, that's one thing. But making one bigger to compensate for the weight of the gas tank just means it will be higher when there isn't a lot of gas in it.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
That's just a bad way around it. If his leafs are saggy and they're both worn out and at different heights, that's one thing. But making one bigger to compensate for the weight of the gas tank just means it will be higher when there isn't a lot of gas in it.

Good point.