odd motor noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 5.7 Vortec always made a small amount of noise but it really started squealing bad last week.

So i started looking and found that the idler pulley could be wiggled around when the bolt was tight. That was the first part i replaced...and it still squealled.

Started looking again and noticed that the altinator was getting extremely hot, much more than normal. I had that tested and the bearings were shot so when i replaced that, it cut out a big amount of the squealing. That was the 2nd part that i replaced...and its still squealling away.

I had the serp belt off and noticed the pulley on the belt tensioner wiggled pretty bad so i ran to the parts store and got the pulley for it. Didnt fix the problem so i went back and got the whole assembly and that didn't change anything either. Those were the 3rd and 4th parts i have replaced...and its still squealling like a hog.

Everything i replaced was going bad and i just hadnt relized yet that they needed to be replaced yet. So its money well spent on these parts but with fixing these problems i have managed to not fix the problem that i originaly set out to fix. :banghead:

I've looked at the compressor pulley, crank shaft pulley, the power steering pump and the pulley attatched to the fan and they all run true and dont wiggle. We fired it up with out the serp belt on and listened for a moment and there was no squealing. At this point i know something is going wrong but me and my dad are completely lost as to what could be the problem. Any advice would be a god send because i dont want to jump head long into replacing the water pump to figure out that it is not the problem. Thanks in advance for your advice on my issue.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 5.7 Vortec always made a small amount of noise but it really started squealing bad last week.

So i started looking and found that the idler pulley could be wiggled around when the bolt was tight. That was the first part i replaced...and it still squealled.

Started looking again and noticed that the altinator was getting extremely hot, much more than normal. I had that tested and the bearings were shot so when i replaced that, it cut out a big amount of the squealing. That was the 2nd part that i replaced...and its still squealling away.

I had the serp belt off and noticed the pulley on the belt tensioner wiggled pretty bad so i ran to the parts store and got the pulley for it. Didnt fix the problem so i went back and got the whole assembly and that didn't change anything either. Those were the 3rd and 4th parts i have replaced...and its still squealling like a hog.

Everything i replaced was going bad and i just hadnt relized yet that they needed to be replaced yet. So its money well spent on these parts but with fixing these problems i have managed to not fix the problem that i originaly set out to fix. :banghead:

I've looked at the compressor pulley, crank shaft pulley, the power steering pump and the pulley attatched to the fan and they all run true and dont wiggle. We fired it up with out the serp belt on and listened for a moment and there was no squealing. At this point i know something is going wrong but me and my dad are completely lost as to what could be the problem. Any advice would be a god send because i dont want to jump head long into replacing the water pump to figure out that it is not the problem. Thanks in advance for your advice on my issue.

Do like i am now....... wait till something fails :lol: i have done the same as you. Idler, tension assembly, 2 different new belts, checked all other pullys no issues found with them.

Sent from somewhere in MN

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
waterpump?, alt?
what id do is take a can of spray lube while the engine is running listen for the squeak, spray some on the alternaotr right where the bolt is to see if itll work its way into the beaarings and then wait and listen, or spray one component and then let her run because you cant really get to crank pulley and such with the engine running.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The belt is only a month old and is nearly new still. Looks like I'll be busting out a can of lubricant tonight and spraying everything with a pulley..if it stops squealing does that mean I need to replace it?

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yup my AC still cranks cold air but i rarely use it even during the summer because its just quicker to roll down the windows and start driving.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I was in the exact same situation as you are. It ended up being my power steering pulley was out of alignment and was making the belt squeek.