odd distributor problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats a bad sign if its smoking, did you check your battery, if no check it. either way the smoke is not a good sign. You need to worry about the smoke first.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just for grins you should yank the distributor out, and try to turn the motor over without it, it sure sounds like you have some extreme drag on the engine.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
if your valves are to tight then engine won't hardly turn over and and can make the starter smoke from the extra load it's trying to turn.

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I adjusted them according to chilton. Anyone else had a bad experience with doing it their way?

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear that, but it doesn't take much for them to be too tight, you could try pulling the valve cover's and loosening them all up just a litlle and see if there is a change. People do this various different way's, but I will explain the way I do it, of course I am sure you followed what the book said about doing the first half off the valve's on TDC #1, and the other half 1 revolution around on TDC #6 and then do the other half, I hold the pushrod between my index finger and my thumb and rotate the pushrod as I tightening the nut down, just as soon as the pushrod has no up and down movement but it should still turn between your fingers with a slight drag tighten the nut 1/2 aturn more to preload the lifter and that's it.

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ooooooooh I thought you were supposed to tighten them down till they didn't spin at all. Well that might help a bit. Now tdc is when the mark on the crank pulley is matched with the middle tooth of the tab and rotor is at cylinder 1 correct? Don't have much experience with distributor motors.

Last edited: