O2 Sensor issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And it'll read from 7.35 - 22 AFR where the NBO2 can't so, you can tune better for HLC and WOT too.

Fair point.
I'm confused though On your graph low voltage output corresponds to rich mixture and vice-versa. I thought low voltage indicated lean. There must be something obvious I'm missing!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fair point.
I'm confused though On your graph low voltage output corresponds to rich mixture and vice-versa. I thought low voltage indicated lean. There must be something obvious I'm missing!

The widebands all do their own thing. The AFRs only correlate to the wideband and mV only with the narrowband.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does, the graph is just scaled from low to high but, the lower the mV is the leaner it gets. It probably should be 1000mV on the bottom to 0mV on the top to correlate with the WBO2 scale.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The widebands all do their own thing. The AFRs only correlate to the wideband and mV only with the narrowband.

It does, the graph is just scaled from low to high but, the lower the mV is the leaner it gets. It probably should be 1000mV on the bottom to 0mV on the top to correlate with the WBO2 scale.

I see it now. Just missed the colour coding. Cheers!

mpyusko

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bank 1 is drivers side, bank 2 passengers side. Both showing low, do you have exhaust leaks? Looks like an over lean, or over rich condition. You would have to see the fuel trim levels to figure out what one. I get the same code when I have a header leak, but mostly on one side. When is the last time you replaced the 02 sensors?

Never. As I said, it only appears when I'm towing and spend a while at WOT. Normal WOT acceleration from 0 - ~65 MPH never throw codes. Someone mentioned the Fuel Filter, I could see that. I've never replaced it either (have one, just never got to it). It could be starving the system because the media can't keep up. Used what it has in the filter canister then has a slow recovery. Kinda like what happens on a float-type carb when the filter is plugged. It can handle short bursts and idle, but starves and conks out if you stay in it too long. :hmm:

I'll probably start with the Fuel Filter.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Never. As I said, it only appears when I'm towing and spend a while at WOT. Normal WOT acceleration from 0 - ~65 MPH never throw codes. Someone mentioned the Fuel Filter, I could see that. I've never replaced it either (have one, just never got to it). It could be starving the system because the media can't keep up. Used what it has in the filter canister then has a slow recovery. Kinda like what happens on a float-type carb when the filter is plugged. It can handle short bursts and idle, but starves and conks out if you stay in it too long. :hmm:

I'll probably start with the Fuel Filter.
You could be rite, starving for fuel. How is your fuel pressure. A weak fuel pump with low max fuel pressure will throw 02 codes as well. Anything less than 60 PSI pre start when you turn on the key, is low. It needs to be over 60 PSI. Once started the fuel pressure will drop into the 50s, but if you rev the engine, it should come up just pass the 60 PSI mark. I agree, first steep is replace the fuel filter.