O2 Sensor - disconnect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Prepping for a pending exhaust change and the O2 sensor in the (so called) resonator pipe will have to come out. By the look of it removal is only possible with the resonator removed but I can't see where to disconnect the wiring. O2 sensors I've dealt with previously had a 6'' pigtail but the truck one seems not to. How do I disconnect it?
1999 C2500 5.7 Suburban.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow the harness away from the O2 sensor. There's a connector in there somewhere, probably within 0.3 meters of the sensor.

I've seen sensors that between the location and the rust, the pipe it's in had to be removed to get the sensor out.

Which, if you're replacing the pipe anyway, just means that you've saved yourself the labor of taking the old sensor out. Scrap it along with the pipe it's in.

But, yeah, you've still got to connect the new sensor to the vehicle harness. When you have the new sensor in-hand, you'll know how far back to look for the connector.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a look at the sensors on Rock Auto and they have pigtails - just much longer than I've encountered before. Follow that wire....

Old one will go back in. It's a downstream one so doesn't influence fuelling.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It seems like when I replaced the rear O2 sensor the first time on my Burb, that the original wire was shorter than the replacement one. There's a collar with a push pin on it(similar to the Christmas tree pins on the door panels) that goes into a hole in the box that partially covers the sensor in the exhaust pipe. This can be kinda tricky to get loose from what I remember (this was 5 or 6 years ago, done a lot to both trucks since then!)
If you could get a picture or two of what you're dealing with, I might be able to give you some ideas on how to proceed....

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems like when I replaced the rear O2 sensor the first time on my Burb, that the original wire was shorter than the replacement one. There's a collar with a push pin on it(similar to the Christmas tree pins on the door panels) that goes into a hole in the box that partially covers the sensor in the exhaust pipe. This can be kinda tricky to get loose from what I remember (this was 5 or 6 years ago, done a lot to both trucks since then!)
If you could get a picture or two of what you're dealing with, I might be able to give you some ideas on how to proceed....
It looks like the usual O2 sensor with wires integral and a connector at the end of them - just haven't located the connector yet!
It's next week's job. This week's is replacing the 1/4'' brake pipe in three sections from ABS unit to rear flexible hose. Would be going better if I hadn't ham-fistedly broke my pipe flaring tool. The joys of GMT 400dom.