o/h console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If i had to guess, they look like blue led "power buttons" you can buy on ebay.

Plate is a fab your own deal unless you find one of the oem "blanking" pieces.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Where did you get the plate and switches and what are the switches for ? I want to do this!!

The 'plate' is two pieces of 1/4" smoked acrylite sheet sandwiched together. Using CAD ( redneck: Cardboard Aided Design ) I cut and fit a template that fit in the opening tightly.

The gauge angle rings are from Autometer, the gauges are Intelletronix, and the switches are flush mount latching NO and NC 'angel eye' switches in black off eBay. Here's a link: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/19mm-12V-blue-Led-5-Pins-black-Push-Button-Angel-Eye-Metal-Latching-Switch-car-/390638853055?

I wasn't aware they were both NO and NC when I bought them, I am only using them as a NO switch. One will be for E-fan override when I get to that point and the other is going to be for aux lighting. They have 0.110" push terminals on the rear of the switch, and I happened to have those on hand.

Once the acrylite was ripped to width on a tablesaw and filed / sanded square I tranferred the shape of the template onto the sheet and cut it out with a jigsaw, making two pieces the same. I then laid out the gauge angle rings and a pair of sockets to simulate the switches. Trace out what you want and make holes.

I got the rear piece fitting good in the opening, then clamped them together and sanded / filed until the outer panel fit the same. Note: for the panel to fit near flush in the front you need 1/2" thickness. Remove protective sheet and install the gauges and switches, wire it up. This took me about 5-6 hours, and doesn't include the time to make a harness from the transmission and install the sensor, pull the a-pillar panel and the carpet back, route the wiring, tie into the parklight wire at the headlight switch for dimming etc.

They have those switches in red, blue, white and green... pretty much whatever suits your need.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the back:
You must be registered for see images

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking at the Dakota Digital Billet plate because I didn't get one with my console and I like what you guys have done, looks real clean... I just cant decide what gauges to use lol

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Trans temp was a no-brainer for me.... since I plan to do some towing with it. Might even spring for an oil temp gauge for the pillar ( install the sender in the rear axle )

I just did the oil in the diff, new painted cover, axle seals, backing plates, drums, etc so that may wait for next summer. Wonder if the sender would read ok with splashing up at the oil fill plug though, may go that route instead of drilling and tapping the case.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans temp was a no-brainer for me.... since I plan to do some towing with it. Might even spring for an oil temp gauge for the pillar ( install the sender in the rear axle )

I just did the oil in the diff, new painted cover, axle seals, backing plates, drums, etc so that may wait for next summer. Wonder if the sender would read ok with splashing up at the oil fill plug though, may go that route instead of drilling and tapping the case.

Trans is def one I would do since I already have stock oil,water and volt gauges....But I want 2 gauges so im stuck maybe a clock:shrug:

Silverfox

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So can someone show me a picture of exactly what will fit in my o/h console so I know what I am looking for !!! Then I can get on with my life and a diff. topic,Please--cause I dont know what will fit and there seems to be a lot of diff. ones !!! I am not at this point looking for gauges !!!!

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I thought about a two gauge panel with a trans temp and an engine oil temp gauges.
I finally settled on just the single panel with the trans temp gauge.
I figure with my truck having a 180 degree thermostat, the engine oil temp shouldn't be too bad.

Then again, Michael Hurd's panel looks damn good.