nv4500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thinking of nv4500 swapping my 95 suburban k2500.
should I look for donors from 95 only or older or newer?

i've been looking in the diagrams of pedals and stuff, there are 3 of them.

what's the setup of 95?

thanks

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thinking of nv4500 swapping my 95 suburban k2500.
should I look for donors from 95 only or older or newer?

i've been looking in the diagrams of pedals and stuff, there are 3 of them.

what's the setup of 95?

thanks
clutch pedal install is easy if you have the newer dash.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
at 4:00 that bracket is in the newer trucks so you don't have to pull the dash and install

the main difference in the years is 1st gear.and that they went from external slave to internal.

here are the differences in nv4500 year's
GM 4WD NV4500 (1992-94)
During the first two years of the NV4500, Chevy offered this 5 speed with a 6.34:1 1st gear; 2nd 3.44:1; 3rd 1.71:1; 4th 1:1 ratio, and a 27% overdrive. It was also the first year that Chevy changed the bellhousing-to-transmission bolt pattern. This transmission is ideal when converting your vehicle, providing an ultra-low 1st gear. GM, however, only produced this particular ratio during these years. The major complaint of this 5 speed was stiff shifting and noise in 3rd gear.

Identification of this transmission can be obtained by using the identification charts in this manual. Due to the interchangeability of other NV4500 components, we also recommend that you verify the following information. Starting at the front, this GM transmission should have a input shaft pilot tip diameter of .590”. The spline of the input is 1-1/8” diameter 10 spline and protrudes approximately 6-5/8” from the face of the transmission. This input shaft cannot be interchanged with any other NV4500 input shafts other than transmissions with the same 1st gear ratio unless you change the counter drive gear also. The front bearing retainer index is 5.125”, with a snout diameter of 1.373”, and a front bolt pattern as shown. The shifter stud on the top cover is a male threaded connection. The rear of this transmission has an aluminum adapter housing which measures 8-1/8” long; and the output shaft is 32 spline. Most transfer case adapters for this transmission will require the replacement of the tailhousing and the shortening of the output shaft.

This transmission cannot be used with a Ford engine.

GM 4WD NV4500 (1995)
This transmission is identical to the 1993-94 transmission, except the 1st gear ratio had been changed to 5.61:1; 2nd 3.04:1; 3rd 1.67:1; 4th 1:1 ratio, and a 27% overdrive. The noise and shifting problems had been corrected.

Identification of this transmission can be obtained by using the identification charts in this manual. Due to the interchangeability of other NV4500 components, we also recommend that you verify the following information: Starting at the front, this GM transmission should have a input shaft pilot tip diameter of .590”. The spline of the input is 1-1/8” diameter 10 spline and protrudes approximately 6-5/8” from the face of the transmission. This input shaft can be interchanged with other NV4500 input shafts with this 5.61 1st gear ratio. The front bearing retainer index is 5.125”, with a snout diameter of 1.373”, and a front bolt pattern as above. The shifter stud on the top cover is a male threaded connection. The rear of this transmission has an aluminum adapter housing which measures 8-1/8” long; and the output shaft is 32 spline. Most transfer case adapters for this transmission will require the replacement of the tailhousing and the shortening of the output shaft.

GM 4WD NV4500 (1996 & Newer)
This transmission has the same gear ratio as the 1995 version (1st 5.61:1; 2nd 3.04:1; 3rd 1.67:1; 4th 1:1 ratio, and a 27% overdrive). Chevy once again changed the bellhousing-to-transmission bolt pattern and went to a larger bellhousing index diameter. The new bolt pattern and index are the same as the Dodge Standard Duty NV4500. These transmissions use a GM internal release bearing.

Identification of this transmission can be obtained by using the identification charts in this manual. Due to the interchangeability of other NV4500 components, we also recommend that you verify the following information: Starting at the front, this GM transmission should have an input shaft pilot tip diameter of .590”. The spline of the input is 1-1/8” diameter 10 spline and protrudes approximately 6-5/8” from the face of the transmission. This input shaft can be interchanged with other NV4500 input shafts with this 5.61 1st gear ratio. The front bearing retainer index is 5.600”. This transmission uses an aluminum front retainer without a release bearing snout. The stock GM bellhousing used an internal release bearing that mounted to the front of this transmission. Most bellhousing adapters for this transmission will either require the replacement of the retainer or, on some applications, an adapter retainer bolted to the front of the stock GM aluminum retainer. The shifter stud on the top cover is a male threaded connection. The rear of this transmission has an aluminum adapter housing which measures 8-1/8” long; and the output shaft is 32 spline. Most transfer case adapters for this transmission will require the replacement of the tailhousing and the shortening of the output shaft.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the links it looks like the 3rd one is for the 96 and up. I don't know about the other 2. Depending on weather and work tomorrow I can try to get under the dash of my 95 and look and see if I can tell the difference. Maybe someone can answer sooner to get you help sooner.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IMO the clutch master installation is tougher with '96-up as they completely changed how it mounts to the firewall. '88-'95 has an offset 2 bolt setup where there's simply three holes in the firewall - main hole for the cylinder flange itself and 2 bolts to retain it. '96-up has just one hole, but it's stepped to two different sizes in the layers of sheetmetal that comprise that area of the firewall, and part of that stepped hole serves as a lip to keep the master cylinder in place as you clock it into the bracket that mounts inside the cab below the brake booster studs. I had hell making the '96-up clutch master cylinder fit a '94 cab. Would have been cake to stay with the older style master.. but I was installing a '96 transmission with the integrated slave cylinder/release bearing. In a nutshell, I have no idea how one drills two different size holes through the same 2 layers of sheetmetal. You gotta have them punched ahead of time then bond the 2 sheets. Good luck.

1988-1995 design
You must be registered for see images attach

1996-up design

This is the '96-up design showing the firewall with the clutch master removed, but the stepped hole, with the bracket inside in place. Hope this helps paint the picture. Trying to replicate this setup after the fact on an older cab is a real PITA.

Richard

Last edited:

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw your WTB and didn't want to clutter up the classified ad.
I'd consider using a Tremec TR4050 instead of the NV4500. It's a straight replacement, so all the ancillary pieces to make the swap will work. But the internals are more modern, stronger and better shifting.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just as a data point my 95 had the same master cylinder mounting as the earlier years. I have not looked at the bore and stroke difference of the master cylinder but it may be possible to mix and match if those parameters are the same. You would just need to properly connect the line for the old MC to the line for the internal hydraulic through out bearing. I personally prefer the external. You could always get a different bell housing if you found a trans from a later truck.

I did an auto to manual swap on the 88 in my signature. Besides pedals, crossmember, and steering column, I also needed a different driveshaft. Mind you that I went to a NV3500.

Depending on what you use the truck for the NV3500 is not a bad trans and may be easier to find. I think it actually shifts smoother than my NV4500. Unless you are frequently towing or off-roading and need the granny gear the NV3500 works well for general use and occasional towing.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just as a data point my 95 had the same master cylinder mounting as the earlier years. I have not looked at the bore and stroke difference of the master cylinder but it may be possible to mix and match if those parameters are the same. You would just need to properly connect the line for the old MC to the line for the internal hydraulic through out bearing. I personally prefer the external. You could always get a different bell housing if you found a trans from a later truck.

I did an auto to manual swap on the 88 in my signature. Besides pedals, crossmember, and steering column, I also needed a different driveshaft. Mind you that I went to a NV3500.

Depending on what you use the truck for the NV3500 is not a bad trans and may be easier to find. I think it actually shifts smoother than my NV4500. Unless you are frequently towing or off-roading and need the granny gear the NV3500 works well for general use and occasional towing.
Mixing and matching year model differences on NV4500's gets tricky as the differences are notable, the release bearing area/front bearing retainer in particular. I say go with the year that matches the setup you want - external slave (95-older), or integrated slave (96-up.)

External slave style (this is from my '94 3500HD) note the smaller size of the bearing retainer plate, and the sleeve over the input shaft -

Integrated slave/release bearing style (this is from the '96 C3500 donor truck I got the engine from) - larger diameter on the bearing retainer, no sleeve over the input shaft

Feel free to double-check me on this but I believe while the '95 model has the old style external slave setup, it has the newer gearset. If you get a trans from '92-'94 it will have the really tall low and reverse gears - 6.34:1 vs. 5.61:1 in the later units.

Richard

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 92 model NV4500 in my truck; the only thing I’ve noticed is that shifting into 3rd is a little tough when the trans is cold but smooths out after driving a bit. It shifts 1000% better than the SM465 that was in it originally.

I do like having the lower 2nd gear; makes it a little easier to start from a dead stop when towing anything, avoiding having to use 1st. 1st is also more useful when you do need it for pulling something or climbing steep hills also.

The 95-up ones will definitely shift faster with the closer ratio though. Also has an updated shift tower that works a little better than the earlier push and twist design

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Feel free to double-check me on this but I believe while the '95 model has the old style external slave setup, it has the newer gearset. If you get a trans from '92-'94 it will have the really tall low and reverse gears - 6.34:1 vs. 5.61:1 in the later units.

Richard
My 95 is a external slave. I have no idea about the gearset the 4500 that was in is it is long gone and was replaced with a 3500 by a previous owner.