NV4500 Manual Swap into my 4-dr Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil

Nonsense.
Reaction score
I dont have any immediate plans for the 4l60 I had in there. I paid almost 2 grand for that tranny so its full of hop ups. It probably wouldnt take much to fix the low reverse issue. If you know anyone that wants it let me know. The company that built it offered to do a full rebuild and reinstatement of the warranty for a grand. If someone wanted a sick 4l60e for a grand then it would be an excellent place to start.

hmmmmmmm

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would steer away from a clutch that is too big or overlapping at all. Centerforce and Hays make great clutch setups in the oem dimensions, so i would stick with that. Or you could call and speak to centerforce and ask what they would recommend. just a thought.

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
www.performabuilt.com

Its the Heavy Hauler series, they also worked a couple things so it was more specific to my heavy truck and high output engine.

I have a pretty solid relationship with the head guy over there. I still chat with him online.

Last edited:

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
Very slow going due to the weather and my haggard work schedule. Actually just came in from putting some more time into it. As of today the old tranny is out, the hole is in the floor and the interior is pretty much all back together. I just ran the hydraulic line down from the clutch master cylinder. The next step will be to abandon the tranny cooler lines, remove the old motor mount struts and then I can start bolting on the flywheel and clutch. Im very close to lifting the beast into place.

The biggest hurdle I cant seem to get over at the moment is the wiring for the reverse lights. I cant seem to find which wire in the harness controls the backup lights. I need to splice the new switch into it.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i don't know what happend to my other reply, oh well!

What motor mount struts are you refering too? Do you have any pics?
Message "Lextech" for a wiring file for your truck, he is very helpful and has files for almost all of our GMT400 vehicles. Just tell him make/model you have and what your trying to do.

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
The are braces that go from the motor mounts down to the old lower bellhousing. I wont be needing them as there are no provisions for mounting them to the NV4500 bellhousing.

Ive just found a thread on FullSizeChevy that has alot of info and a member who did the swap in a 95. I brain farted on computer issues after this swap. Obviously there was going to be a check engine light but it looks like there will eb many other issues as well. Im now looking into the option of finding an 95 ECM from a 5 speed and just using that instead of the more expensive option of re-flashing the chip. All of that would be temporary though as im hoping to eventually go to a carb over the summer.