nv3500 shift tower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flat landah

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been working on finding a shift tower for my '94 k1500, rpo code MG5. I've seen a couple of options from all state gear on ebay, neither seem to be the right fit though. One claims it is for '92 up models but the picture does not match what I have, the other is an aluminum bodied model, also does not seem to be the right fit for my truck. I'm confused... everything I'm finding seems to be either for the earlier models or the later models. I found a chart on zumbrotadrivetrain.com that lists the part number as 12380394, nothing definitive with a google search of that part number though.

Am I missing something or am I just unlucky with parts availability?

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the plastic or aluminum tower? The aluminum one has a shorter flange and the knob that goes into the shift rails has a different stick out. My HM290 uses the aluminum style and I could not locate one. I got a plastic one for the NV3500 from amazon and drilled a new pin hole to set the knob stick out correctly. Your 92 Should use the plastic tower for the NV3500.

steveed

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a core shifter for mine. Kind of pricey. The site does have some information about the various versions and shifters.

Last edited:

flat landah

Reaction score
Do you have the plastic or aluminum tower? The aluminum one has a shorter flange and the knob that goes into the shift rails has a different stick out. My HM290 uses the aluminum style and I could not locate one. I got a plastic one for the NV3500 from amazon and drilled a new pin hole to set the knob stick out correctly. Your 92 Should use the plastic tower for the NV3500.
I have the plastic tower. I believe I have narrowed it down to either of these two options (both the same it appears) https://cobratransmission.com/getrag-290-nv1500-nv3500-nv3550-shifter-assembly-5005102-1 & https://www.ebay.com/itm/2737753978...,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

The shifter from Cobra has the dimensions listed on their website, which I matched to mine so I can't see why it won't work, the knob sticks out past the housing like mine does as well. One of the things that puzzled me was why the whole rod itself would be shorter than mine, but I don't see how it would hinder the application. My shifter stick won't know the difference as long as it threads on.

flat landah

Reaction score
I bought a core shifter for mine. Kind of pricey. The site does have some information about the various versions and shifters.

That is very helpful, easiest way to confirm what I have that I have seen. I pulled my rpo code but at least that confirms it. 1/4"

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a junkyard NV3500 a couple years ago that was missing the shift tower. I ordered the later tower online, and it was definitely the wrong height. I returned it and got the early shift tower. It's close, but still doesn't fit. I think I also need the plastic gasket/spacer, but I haven't got around to ordering it yet. I haven't found anything online that explains the shift towers clearly.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine matches the Cobra Model: 404625B It DOES NOT WORK ON THE HM290 with out redrilling the cross pin hole. It is the Correct one for the NV3500. You shouldn't have a issue with your shifter lever. I used one for a NV3500 that I got from HobbsZ71. It worked perfect with that lever.