Nv3500/5lm60 cracked case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys, as some of you may have seen I’m putting a 5lm60 into my once automatic 94 k1500. Disaster struck tonight pulling out the pivot ball stud.

It was coming out perfectly until it suddenly felt very loose, that’s when I loosened the puller and found that the case had cracked where the stud gets pressed in. Not a whole ton of the surface it presses into was destroyed, but some was.

Do you guys think this trans is still useable? Was thinking if I could get the stud pressed back in I could put some high heat jbweld putty around it to make sure it stays secured.

But I’m worried pressing the stud back in will just continue to crack the case around where the chunk broke off…

Here’s the video of what happened:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well. Just got it pressed back in, I think I’m going to jbweld putty all around the base and let it harden up real good. It’s sticking out like a half mm farther than it did before, but it should work fine.
You must be registered for see images attach

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the pivot stud pressed back in, there was enough material in there to get it pressed back in.

Not sure if it’ll hold, but I’m probably just going to send it. I don’t know any aluminum welders.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tighten a hose clamp around it,may give that JBWeld a fighting chance.
Lmao, jb weld is just a safe measure.

I’m pretty sure there was still enough material in the hole for the stud that it is secured still. I had to pound it to press it in a lot

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did you try to take it out to begin with? It may have been casted in place.

Last edited:

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why did you try to take it out to begin with? It may have been casted in place.
Was going to replace it just for safe measure, definitely not cast into place it’s pressed in.

But the replacement I got is wrong anyway, so I pulled it and cracked the case for nothing… lol.

Original one went back in and is never coming back out ever again.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What safe measure ? was it worn ? Wrong size? What made decide that has to be changed out?
I've never replaced one. And that's starting with a 56 Chevy belair, and a 55 GMC and onward through the 70's.
It has shoulder on it right? There is probably some special tooling / procedure to remove it, as it's in a Aluminum case.
There hardened steel.