Not bad for a 17yr old kid with change budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treyes

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1992 c1500 thats didnt even start when i got it, for $850! Got it in january and restored the interior and did a facelift so far and a 4/6 drop on a non existent budget junkyard parts and ebay parts. Its only start i plan on restoring the paint and doing a cammed 6.0 ls swap and lots of other improvements. Let me know what else i should consider doing or what yall think about the progress.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may sound like an echo chamber, but FIRST make it a solid truck. If it runs good with the engine you have, hold off on any swaps until everything else on the truck is right, which you can do as you have done, a piece at a time as money permits. If you try getting in too deep all at once you are likely to end up with a parked wreck decorating your driveway.

If you do all the small fixes first you will have a very nice truck that will carry you through college or vocational training and into a solid first job. Then would be the time to do more to it. At that point you could get something cheap to daily drive while you finish it off like you want. Then you will end up with a great truck instead of a yard queen, or worse a junkyard queen. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may sound like an echo chamber, but FIRST make it a solid truck. If it runs good with the engine you have, hold off on any swaps until everything else on the truck is right, which you can do as you have done, a piece at a time as money permits. If you try getting in too deep all at once you are likely to end up with a parked wreck decorating your driveway.

If you do all the small fixes first you will have a very nice truck that will carry you through college or vocational training and into a solid first job. Then would be the time to do more to it. At that point you could get something cheap to daily drive while you finish it off like you want. Then you will end up with a great truck instead of a yard queen, or worse a junkyard queen. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

This is great advice!

Too many trucks here for sale that go like this: "something bored over whatever, stage 3 built 4L60e, something stall converter, yada-yada...
all parts there, just need to put it together and paint job. Have receipts. Too much to list. Have at least $12,000. $5,000 OBO. No low-balling..."

Parts truck!

If truck drivetrain is good, focus on the little things that cost little money. A 25 year old truck is going to have plenty of little issues.

Once that's done focus on bigger projects like engine swap, as money and time permits.