4/6" Drop on a K3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greetings to all,
I'm the proud owner of a barn find/ fire damaged k3500. It was handed to me in a state of disarray, I've finally amounted enough funds to buy all the parts I'll be needing after I completely disassembled everything I found questionable and plan to do a 'Bolt' restoration of this truck as the time passes. This thread isn't about that however.

This thread is about lowering a single rear-wheel 4x4, I've read that someone used to make a 4/6"drop kit that didn't require a C-notch (I'm seriously willing to consider a C-notch, it's just that I won't be able to pass technical inspection here with a hacked-up frame). Now I'm uncertain wether this kit was for 4wd models or just the 2wd trucks.

Does anyone recall what the kit consisted of? or know anyone who knows about lowering K-series trucks?
Thanks for reading, have a good one!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any drop of that much requires an axle flip.
Any flip requires a c-notch, unless you're using a set of lift springs. Though that sounds like an oxymoron...
Any flip on our GM trucks, 2wd or 4x4, is more or less the exact same kit.
if done properly, your frame wont be "hacked up".

Now, in my experience of lowering a 1/2 ton 4x4, the torsion bar keys are installed exactly like a lift set. A new, shorter set of bumpstops are needed, as well as shorter shocks. That'll get you about 3 inches.
In the back, I used a set of forward leaf spring hangers from a 2wd, for 2" drop, then a set of 2" longer rear shackles. For an additional 2".
4" is the limit of that drop, any more boomerangs to the flip and c-notch.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The real reason for caution is the upper mounted helper springs. The hangers and shackles wont line up with the frame mounted helper springs anymore, and would need to be removed entirely, thus lowering the published GVWR.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any drop of that much requires an axle flip.
Any flip requires a c-notch, unless you're using a set of lift springs. Though that sounds like an oxymoron...
Any flip on our GM trucks, 2wd or 4x4, is more or less the exact same kit.
if done properly, your frame wont be "hacked up".

Now, in my experience of lowering a 1/2 ton 4x4, the torsion bar keys are installed exactly like a lift set. A new, shorter set of bumpstops are needed, as well as shorter shocks. That'll get you about 3 inches.
In the back, I used a set of forward leaf spring hangers from a 2wd, for 2" drop, then a set of 2" longer rear shackles. For an additional 2".
4" is the limit of that drop, any more boomerangs to the flip and c-notch.
So you're telling me 2" 4" is possible on a 1500 K series without a c-notch, right?

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you both! @sewlow, the distance between the exhaust and the bed seems to be smallar than the gap over the rear-diff? why the need for clearance over the pumpkin yet not the exhaust?