Noise from front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Tahoe4wd

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I've been racking my brain on this one trying to figure out exactly what is causing the noise. I have a 97 Tahoe, 4 door, 4 wheel drive. I bought the truck from a co-worker with 185K miles on it.I replaced the rotors and pads back in November (Napa brand, non-drilled or slotted rotors, mid range ceramic pads), and serviced the rears a couple of months ago (took off the drums and greased the adjuster in the back end, it wasn't functioning properly and not adjusting the rear brakes). After i installed the new rotors and pads, my friend (went to school for auto restoration and has several gmt400's, so he knows his stuff. He has helped my immensely on this truck and my former hot rod, a stock 2002 s10), checked out the install when we had it on a lift and re-greased the sliding pins on the both sides of the front brakes. I even had Christian Brother Auto check it out, and they said the brakes look new and beautiful, could not find a fault with them.

Here is what the truck is doing. After about 15-20 minutes of driving, i hear a squealing noise in the front end between 40-50 mph (kinda of sounds like the wear indicator is rubbing the rotor), regardless of acceleration, coasting or slowing down. The noise goes away when i press the brakes slightly. I hear the same noise when going slow, around 15-20 mph after 20 minutes of driving. The truck stops very well, and i have noticed the front driver side CV has a leak, but i filled it up last week, and it took about 200ml, so not much.

Let me know if any other info is needed.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a very similar experience with my Napa pads... take off your pads, again, and there's a thin protective coating around the sides of the brake material. See if parts of it are starting to come off. That thin layer some how makes a high pitch squeal, just take some sand paper and sand that crap off. Mine were silent ever since.

97Tahoe4wd

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Praise the lord is something easy to fix. My buddy and I fixed the leaking seal and sanded some of the edges of the pad and the noise disappeared for about 100 miles. I'll have to jack up the truck and sand down the sides of the pads this week.