Noise coming from ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
So I took a trip with a friend up to Scottsdale. One way it's about 150 miles from my house. Well, we get up there and we hit a little traffic. Stop and go for about 5 miles and I notice a sound coming from (I think) underneath the drivers floor board. The noise is most noticeable when decelerating from 30 mph or less, coming to a stop. The noise is "in time" with the rotation of the tires. Kind of like a ruh, ruh, ruh, ruh noise, if that makes any sense. The first thing I thought was wheel bearings, so I jacked the front end up and tried to move the wheels from 12-6. Neither wheel moved at all. I get under the truck and notice a little bit of leaking around both CV flanges (where it meets the differential). Also, I did see some oil around the back end of the differential, where it meets the half shaft, but I think that's from changing the oil a few weeks ago. Are the next things to check: u joints and maybe pinion bearing on the diff? I really hope it's not the pinion, but I want it fixed. I may just replace all of the u joints anyway. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
When it made the notice did it feel like you were slightly but quickly hittin the brakes?? Hard to explain. Did it feel like the cv was catching and momentarily locking, then kicking out? Mine did that and when I lulled over there was grease on the cv axle boot and I noticed a hole in it.. Replaced the cv and never did it again

Edit, cancel that. I thought I read that you saw the cv was leaking grease..

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Yeah, there isn't any grease coming from the boots. Going to try to do some troubleshooting this afternoon and see what I can come up with.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Most of the time it is the tires. If you ever lock them up on a dry road they do that for a few thousand miles.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the time it is the tires. If you ever lock them up on a dry road they do that for a few thousand miles.
What he said, plus how much tread do you have it could be the wear lines starting to hit the road. That will make tire noise as well.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
@Tempted - I did happen to lock them up a few weeks ago, but didn't notice the noise until the other day. Maybe because I wasn't up at 75 mph+ for more than a few minutes. I did rotate the tires today and haven't heard the noise since. Might take it for a long drive this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome. Jack the truck up and spin the tires by hand. If you see a high/low, that's your problem. Put 'em on the rear and light 'em up a few times. Wastes tread but helps the issue.