No start in rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Happened a few years back, changed the cap n rotor and all was good for 8 years. Just started happening again but new cap n rotor didn't solve the issue this time. After the sun comes out for a couple hours it fires right up and runs great again. Any ideas what to look for? No codes

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Posting your year, model, engine always helps so we don't have to guess.

But my guess will be there's probably a little water down in the body of your distributor. Next time it won't start, pop the cap and rotor off, spray some WD40 down into the body of the distributor and soak up the excess with paper towels. Clean the cap and rotor with the WD40 and wipe them off as well. Re-install, see if she starts. If so, your cap may not be seating well on the distributor (if it's a Vortec then the screw tabs may be cracked, very common), also be sure the weatherstrip on the cowl plastic at the rear of the hood is intact.

Richard

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There should be a couple small vent holes in the dist. under the rotor. Some don't have them and you will need to drill two very small holes in there. Some have them but they can get plugged.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was a forum member, I forget who, who ran a vacuum line to the distributor cap to prevent this. A few seconds of cranking and the moisture was drawn out of the cap.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
There was a forum member, I forget who, who ran a vacuum line to the distributor cap to prevent this. A few seconds of cranking and the moisture was drawn out of the cap.

That sounds like a great idea. I think I would try to place an inline filter in the vacuum line, However. One of these days I'm going to replace my PCV line, and install a T so I can access vacuum for this or a gauge if I need/want it. On my 454, vacuum lines are scarce.... which is fine (fewer lines to keep up), but I would like access.

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I might try coating it with silicone spray also. It's raining tonight so I am sure I will have the opportunity to try it tomorrow morning.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to take off my cap and lightly spray some air down onto my distributor... that helped me dry out the moisture that was stuck under there. Mine wouldn’t crank after I washed the engine!

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was told by astrosafari.com that under the cap there are 2 small screens that vent moisture out of the distributor. They tend to plug up. Just remove the screens and problem solved

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was told by astrosafari.com that under the cap there are 2 small screens that vent moisture out of the distributor. They tend to plug up. Just remove the screens and problem solved

I'll have to take a look at my other distributor more closely. I've never seen that.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to take off my cap and lightly spray some air down onto my distributor... that helped me dry out the moisture that was stuck under there. Mine was wet because I washed under the hood...