No Spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to confirm, that’s no spark on any of the eight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it sparks from the wires but not sure about the plugs after going through the entire system today. unplugged and plugged back in all sensors, resat dist’ cap, checked order of plug wires. when trying to crank it’ll begin to then slowly crank slower until it stops

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check all the grounds of the motor. I missed one near the crankshaft pulley while doing heads
i know the two ground straps at the front of the block are set good and i have the wire coming off of the harness beside the distributor grounded to the bracket on the head. did i miss any?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it sparks from the wires but not sure about the plugs after going through the entire system today. unplugged and plugged back in all sensors, resat dist’ cap, checked order of plug wires. when trying to crank it’ll begin to then slowly crank slower until it stops

What do you mean? With a good battery, the engine will crank for a good... probably 1 straight minute non-stop before battery starts to drain and cranking slows down.

I don't know why it would struggle to crank though. How long of cranking before it begins to slow? Did you mess around with anything else? Did you mess with the camshaft/timing chain position?

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean? With a good battery, the engine will crank for a good... probably 1 straight minute non-stop before battery starts to drain and cranking slows down.

I don't know why it would struggle to crank though. How long of cranking before it begins to slow? Did you mess around with anything else? Did you mess with the camshaft/timing chain position?
i agree that it should crank that long. it seems to crank for a maximum of five seconds before it begins to slow down or make a clunk sound and suddenly stop. i didnt mess with the timing chain at all. i had oreillys test the battery and it was good so they charged it but still seems drained. if i try and jump it, it cranks like the battery was just charged but begins the same process again.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i agree that it should crank that long. it seems to crank for a maximum of five seconds before it begins to slow down or make a clunk sound and suddenly stop. i didnt mess with the timing chain at all. i had oreillys test the battery and it was good so they charged it but still seems drained. if i try and jump it, it cranks like the battery was just charged but begins the same process again.

Ok, I think that's your problem. Can you remove the spark plugs and crank it? There should be no clanking sounds.

Tell us why you replaced the head gasket also. Why was that replaced? How did you diagnose it? Cylinders and heads looked ok?

I thought for head removal and reinstallation you still have to mess with aligning the timing little dots on the timing chain? I don't know for sure honestly. Someone here can confirm...

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I think that's your problem. Can you remove the spark plugs and crank it? There should be no clanking sounds.

Tell us why you replaced the head gasket also. Why was that replaced? How did you diagnose it? Cylinders and heads looked ok?

I thought for head removal and reinstallation you still have to mess with aligning the timing little dots on the timing chain? I don't know for sure honestly. Someone here can confirm...
So try and remove all spark plugs and see if it can crank without compression? I changed the head gasket because of a cracked cylinder head due to overheating (caused by the lower water pump hose blowing off due to my negligence after a water pump change). At no point did i have to align the timing chain, only setting at tdc to remove distributor and adjust valve lash.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So try and remove all spark plugs and see if it can crank without compression? I changed the head gasket because of a cracked cylinder head due to overheating (caused by the lower water pump hose blowing off due to my negligence after a water pump change). At no point did i have to align the timing chain, only setting at tdc to remove distributor and adjust valve lash.

Yes. Maybe your distributor is out 180 degrees? When I changed the intake manifold gasket on my 4.3 I thought it was a good idea to try to drop in the distributor at TDC instead of what everyone tells you to just mark the distributor and drop it in in the same spot.

Anyway, somehow I got it off by 180. Tried several hours without success. Had to call my mechanic buddy. Engine sounded like it was fighting itself to crank. It doesn't sound normal if you do this by mistake like me.

v0nzipper

Reaction score
i know the two ground straps at the front of the block are set good and i have the wire coming off of the harness beside the distributor grounded to the bracket on the head. did i miss any?

This ground is part of the engine harness (not a typical ground strap). It needs to be checked from the bottom of the motor by the crank pulley.

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Maybe your distributor is out 180 degrees? When I changed the intake manifold gasket on my 4.3 I thought it was a good idea to try to drop in the distributor at TDC instead of what everyone tells you to just mark the distributor and drop it in in the same spot.

Anyway, somehow I got it off by 180. Tried several hours without success. Had to call my mechanic buddy. Engine sounded like it was fighting itself to crank. It doesn't sound normal if you do this by mistake like me.
so it’s possible i dropped it in on the wrong tdc? like exhaust instead of compression?

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This ground is part of the engine harness (not a typical ground strap). It needs to be checked from the bottom of the motor by the crank pulley.
That’s what i meant by ground strap oops. So as far as i can tell, all my grounds are set good.