No Power to AC Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if I jumper the connector, shouldn’t it kick on and yes, I did verify. I have enough pressure.

Pardon me for asking, but how did you verify the pressure is adequate?

Now, regarding how to energize the AC compressor clutch, if you:

- jumper the connection (as you say) at the low-pressure switch, and

- the controls in the cab are set w/ the AC switch depressed (or any other position that would call for AC, regardless of that switch, such as defrost), and

- the high-pressure switch on the AC manifold is closed (measures ~0 ohms), and

- the high-pressure switch on the back of the compressor is closed (check that your connection is present here, it's an easy one to overlook during an engine R&R) then

- the ECU should provide power to the relay that in turn energizes the clutch.

If you have a scan tool, you can verify the ECU's inputs and responses.

The factory service manuals are on-line; if you don't have them consider downloading them for reference. Find them here:

I've attached the relevant sections from the 1998 FSM, I suspect 1997 is similar. LOOK AT both attachments.

Perhaps you've got a compromised wire or connector in the circuit to the low-pressure switch, or elsewhere. OR, the compressor high-pressure cutout switch, mounted on the compressor, wasn't reconnected after the engine swap. A wiring diagram would guide you, e.g., for where to measure the resistance of the wire(s) and/or voltages to expect on them.

Attachments

• AC switches - Pages from 1998_GMT-98_CK-1_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf
    922.5 KB · Views: 2
  • AC wiring - Pages from 1998_GMT-98_CK-1_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited: