No Noises, Not moving in any gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 97 Tahoe Engine and Tranny sawpped into a 79 El Camino stock PCM built tranny with a shift kit 1800 stall converter.

I drove into town and parked the truck like normal. Came back outside and started up fine but will not move at all in any gear. Fluid is in great shape and when running does not make any weird noises. Is it possible the filter fell or broke off? I've been daily driving this and I haven't noticed anything strange at all.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
The first time i removed and replaced a tranny, and also the first time I did a fluid and filter change I missed the metal clip that locks the filter in place.... I didn't even know it was there because it wasnt attached to the filter and stuck inside the hole and I was a newbie. The filter fell off and the truck wouldnt move. It took me a bit to figure out what happened but my dad said it sounds like the filter fell off.... he was right and on closer inspection i saw the metal clip stuck inside.

Only a couple problems with no movement at all and no noise... pump has failed or filter has fallen off.

Good luck

Al

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just pulled the pan and the filter was in its rightful place. I have a self installed drain plug and I only got 5 1/2 quarts out. I'm not sure how much is in the converter but it seems like not enough fluid. Anyway, I did see some evidence of pump failure so I guess it can happen without any warning.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, got a new filter put in and refilled. It does not pull fluid on startup and I get a slight rattling noise coming from the bell housing.

Triple checked all the linkages and I'm not that lucky.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, got a new filter put in and refilled. It does not pull fluid on startup and I get a slight rattling noise coming from the bell housing.

Triple checked all the linkages and I'm not that lucky.
Sounds like the pump rotor may have shattered. Had one munch itself in a 700r4 behind a 2.8L S10.

Transamco

Reaction score
The drive lugs on the rotor can break but this is usually due to a failure to engage the converter into the pump gear at the time the trans was installed. No drive at all on start up is the norm in this situation but I have seen a couple drive quite normally for a while... sheer luck that the lugs are sitting in just the right position to allow the converter neck to drive the pump rotor. On the plus side, when the pump stops the debris stops being circulated to other parts of the unit