No 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ltutt1

Reaction score
I hope I’m in the right place I’m new to this,I’ve got a 1988 gmc v1500 surburban with 4wd and a 350 in it
The 4wd doesn’t work you can shift it into any 4wd mode light comes on all the parts are there,I’ve been told about the actuator on the front axle but there’s not one not even a place for one,when I bought it the lady I bought from said they had taken a gear out any help is greatly appreciated

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be a square body? The actuators are manual hubs.
In between the lug nuts...

Take the truck back to the lady and have her put 'em back in. She sold you an incomplete truck. She owes you!

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Maybe prehistoric but a lot more rugged and durable than the IFS in the GMT 400's.

Depends. the 1500 SA axles in those years i believe were 10 bolts. Not the most stout axle for the size of vehicle

Ryno3

Reaction score
Most of the burbs that year had auto lock hubs, if the hubs aren’t locking they could just be dry and sticking. We used to take them out and soak them in ATF for a few hours and you were usually good to go

Gearhead1

Reaction score
I had problems with automatic hubs on my 1985 Suburban not locking up, so I replaced them with a manual lock set from a 1970's pickup.