4wd indicator switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crpk1500

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently ordered a 4wd indicator switch from the parts store and when I got it in, it does not match the one that came out. It’s too long and is hitting as soon as I start threading it in which would show the 4wd is engaged all the time. I looked everywhere online and cannot find anything that looks like the short one that came out of it. Anyone else know about this?

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trucks Twenty feet away they all look the same, open the doors and hood their all different. That's why we need , year, make , model, eng, trans. Without that important bit of information, is the difference between good response answers and.......

crpk1500

Reaction score
I edited the first post. The truck is a 96 k 5.7 auto.
WHAT VEHICLE?

Have you actually tried fully-installing the new part to verify that it doesn't work properly for you?
I did install it and like I said it makes contact just sliding it into the hole, not even threading it in. The switch that I pulled out of it does not make contact like that. You can see that the body is longer just by looking at the picture and the actual switch contact is longer too. I bought another one with the same body but it came with a three pin connector instead of my two pin. I’m thoroughly confused as to wtf is going on here. Why can’t I just put my year make and model in and find the correct part?

Attachments

• IMG_4710.jpeg
    IMG_4710.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 7

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say it's "hitting" or "making contact". Have you tested the switch with an ohmmeter to see if that contact is enough to actually show 4WD? Maybe that replacement switch has more travel to the plunger--it's longer but maybe still works properly.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it helps, the parts catalog for 1996 shows it as GM part number 15552842 for K1500 and K2500.

In case someone swapped your front differential and axle housing in a previous life, it’s 15731298 for 97-99 K1500.

crpk1500

Reaction score
If it helps, the parts catalog for 1996 shows it as GM part number 15552842 for K1500 and K2500.

In case someone swapped your front differential and axle housing in a previous life, it’s 15731298 for 97-99 K1500.

I searched the part number for the 97-99 and that looks like the one so it must have been swapped at some point. Why would the connector on the truck harness be the same though? There is no splice or soldering done that I can see and it would also need to go from a three wire to a two wire. Of course like most other parts for these trucks, that part is discontinued and I can’t find it anywhere. This is just becoming frustrating trying to get stuff for this truck.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GM manuals can be downloaded here. It’ll have the wiring diagram and connector view. Post #99 has 1996 and 1997 is somewhere in there as well:

I’ve never looked to see how many wires my 98 has, but GM may have changed the part mid-year or something in 96. It sounds like your truck came with the two-wire, though.

A junkyard run may be in order unless you can somehow clean the contact in the original and get continuity?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96- 97 is transition year. GM parts giant splits the switches between Axle RPO Codes.
15552842 - ZLS, ZLT, ZLW. Three wire
15731298 - ZWA, ZWB, ZWD Two wire
Also, replacement parts my appear different, but look at the body housing that screws into the axle. The thread and tube are same length.
I don't know what criteria you used to find your parts.
If your not real familiar, if you go to " GM Parts Giant " enter the complete VIN of your truck , it's GM , they know what your truck was built with, by serial number. Select part boxes for front differential it will have the listed parts for your truck. Not a broad span of , but yours.
The other reliable choice is " AC Delco Parts " the real one , same thing enter by VIN , the dealers actually would search that way, faster, more reliable.
Good luck.
ps. Model- Tahoe, Sub, C1500, K1500, C3500 and so on.
We can help if we know what you have.