Nice to meet Y’all!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that the lock washer is flattened out or if it was a split ring washer it could have broken into 2 pieces and fallen out.

These are great for 1-time use but after that they are useless if you try to re-tighten them. I'd take that small nut off the starter and put a new lock washer in it and maybe a new nut also... then you can forget it about it.

Good option:
You must be registered for see images attach

Best option:
You must be registered for see images attach

And Welcome BTW! I love your avatar pic!
I’m glad you brought this small issue to light! My friend looked at this same washer and he agreed with you! We are buying new ground straps,Nuts,Washers and something to test battery load..Thank you Thank you! I will post some pics of my progress and pics of the pickup truck! Thanks again man!
~ROLL TIDE~

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Ground straps are good condition,Just need a good cleaning.Yes,That is a gouge in that ground strap bolt.Not sure if that would be a problem.And the black bolt with washer is what previous owner used to bolt the Headlight ground/Negative battery cable to Body.Not really sure if that bolt is the best conductive material to use. Does anyone know what kind of bolt I could use for the Negative side post of Battery?! I accidentally tightened too much and it was loose again.I know I can tighten it back up but,Now its not getting a good bite.Someone told me to use a longer bolt but not sure which one to buy. I apologize for boring y’all with my crap. God Bless y’all!
~ROLL TIDE~

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 6

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Ground straps are good condition,Just need a good cleaning.Yes,That is a gouge in that ground strap bolt.Not sure if that would be a problem.And the black bolt with washer is what previous owner used to bolt the Headlight ground/Negative battery cable to Body.Not really sure if that bolt is the best conductive material to use. Does anyone know what kind of bolt I could use for the Negative side post of Battery?! I accidentally tightened too much and it was loose again.I know I can tighten it back up but,Now its not getting a good bite.Someone told me to use a longer bolt but not sure which one to buy. I apologize for boring y’all with my crap. God Bless y’all!
~ROLL TIDE~
That bolt with the notch is a self tapping/thread cutting bolt. Factory uses them for stuff like ground wire going into frame or body. As long as it's clean and free of corrosion and rust, should be okay. I've found longer side terminal bolts at my local O'Reilly's parts store; they had them by the battery rack with the new terminals and hold downs.
Another way to handle the side terminal attachment to the battery, is to get a stainless steel 3/8" USS (3/8-16) bolt, I think what Dad used on our Burb is one 1 1/4" long, maybe 1 1/2" long, and a stainless steel nut to fit the threads. I'll have to get a picture of it tomorrow on the Burb,and a measurement. Put the nut on the bolt, run it up to the bolt head but not tight. Then put the bolt through the battery cable ends, and thread the bolt carefully into the threads in the battery. Run it in snug, and then use the nut like a jam nut to get it tight. Takes 2, 9/16 wrenches to do this. I may be wrong on the bolt length but you can measure your truck to see what you need and have room for. The Vortecs don't have a lot of room between the battery and the air cleaner box.

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
That bolt with the notch is a self tapping/thread cutting bolt. Factory uses them for stuff like ground wire going into frame or body. As long as it's clean and free of corrosion and rust, should be okay. I've found longer side terminal bolts at my local O'Reilly's parts store; they had them by the battery rack with the new terminals and hold downs.
Another way to handle the side terminal attachment to the battery, is to get a stainless steel 3/8" USS (3/8-16) bolt, I think what Dad used on our Burb is one 1 1/4" long, maybe 1 1/2" long, and a stainless steel nut to fit the threads. I'll have to get a picture of it tomorrow on the Burb,and a measurement. Put the nut on the bolt, run it up to the bolt head but not tight. Then put the bolt through the battery cable ends, and thread the bolt carefully into the threads in the battery. Run it in snug, and then use the nut like a jam nut to get it tight. Takes 2, 9/16 wrenches to do this. I may be wrong on the bolt length but you can measure your truck to see what you need and have room for. The Vortecs don't have a lot of room between the battery and the air cleaner box.
Hey man…Sorry I haven’t been in touch for the past week.We went on an over night Deep sea fishing trip aboard (High Cotton) out of Zekes Marina in Orange Beach,Alabama. The next day,We had the (Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo) in Dauphin Island,Ala.and that in itself is almost a 4 day long excursion.We didn’t win our (Billfish) class but it was fun and I got a **** ton of Snapper,Grouper and Tuna to eat for for months!
Since your already this deep in, I would personally switch over to top post battery terminals.

Every chance I get I switch away from those dumb side-posts.
What’s up Rich..Pretiate that insight.I ended up buying these—->https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...d-brass-battery-side-bolt-extender/296092_0_0 They work really good! I just need to figure this bs out already! Hope your doing well!
~ROLL TIDE~
Btw..I still haven’t fixed my pickup:~{ Anyways..I wanted to apologize to you and the rest of the Boys,for doing what y’all could to try and help and I disappeard for a while.Hope y’all are doing good!
~ROLL TIDE YALL~

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpeg
    IMG_4166.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4187.jpeg
    IMG_4187.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4210.jpeg
    IMG_4210.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4240.jpeg