NEWB QUESTION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What differential came in the heavy half 14 bolt's? Thats what mine is so just curious if i should beweary of the infamous "gov bomb"?

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So did all from this generation come with a gov-lock regardles of 10, 12, 14 bolt?

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gov lock in the semi float 14 you have should be ok. Its beefier than the one in the 10-bolt. The 10-bolt is where they get their bad rap from. If you're gonna rebuild for whatever reason and have the cash, then upgrade. If not, then just run it.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok well I'm even more of a newb than the OP apparently... Could you explain what the "gov lock" is? and also I wasn't clear... was it stock on all the 10 and 14 axles?

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok well I'm even more of a newb than the OP apparently... Could you explain what the "gov lock" is? and also I wasn't clear... was it stock on all the 10 and 14 axles?

From my understanding the "gov lock" is factory in all our rear ends... and is very "fragile" AKA "gov bomb" specialy when you go bigger tires. Now like said above the 14 bolt has a bit beefier of a gov lock. I believe it the equivalent to a limited slip.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
^ with the exception of a few. Mine is a 10bolt OPEN (no gov-lock).

A way you could tell is by the RPO code G80 (if it's there you have gov-lock) located on a sticker inside your glovebox.
I have RPO GT4 which also indicates a .373 gear ratio.