new truck for camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MonteMan

Reaction score
So I bought a 30' travel trailer last year, and made it thru the season with my 1500.

Well its for sale and I'm hunting for a gmt400 crew cab dually.

I've got a few options and I want to get some opinions and I want to stay in a budget of $5,000.

First candidate that I like is c3500 with a 7.4 and 140k but I hate the interior (maroon) and it's not 4wd.

I would love a diesel truck but am staying away from the 6.5 and I want a crew dually obs

I found a clean high mileage with a blown motor for $1000. Considered getting a ht383 crate for it? Also considered a rebuilt 7.4 which I'm sure the 454 is plenty power but I've read the mpg suck.

Which I wouldn't care as much for towing but I work out of my 1500 and am replacing it with my new to me purchase. I don't want to use $20 in gas just to get to the other side of town.

The 2wd doesn't bother me because I plan to put a straight axle up front anyways. I am not a fan at all of the ifs.

Would love to get a 12v in there but pretty sure that is beyond my capabilities and time restraint.

Didn't want to start a huge project but putting in a gas motor wouldn't take too long g and could do the axle swap after this winter.

My question is to the seasoned haulers, in my situation with still needing to get around town everyday what do you suggest.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
How often do you tow the trailer? Weekly? A 4x4 is far easier to solid axle swap. Good call on avoiding the 6.5. Yes a big block will suck plan for 12 at the high end unloaded with a 4x4. 2wd idk won't be alot better.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
My advice is keep it simple. They make everything you could want in every variety in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Just buy it that way. Want solid axles? Buy a Ram or a Dodge, want a diesel, buy a diesel. Mileage sucks period, I've had three diesels and have never gotten over mid teens from any of them loaded. My older gas trucks never got out of single digit's.

I wouldn't want my truck broke down on the side of the road, hooked to my fancy 30" trailer, and nowhere to get part's. My hauling trucks stay stock, and get maintained religiously.

rcb1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 6.5 isn't a bad motor but its not a cummins. I'd lean towards a 6.5 over a 454 but that's just me. If you want a crew cab dually with an 8ft box you will want 4x4. I'm not joking when I say they can get hung up on wet pavement when unloaded.

But for 5k you can get one with a 454 and likely 4x4. With that sort of price you can drive it a lot and still come out ahead.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The 6.5 isn't a reliable engine. The 454 is and makes better torque. I ly thing th 6.5 is decent for is mpg that's it

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you really want to haul a 30 foot trailer, you really have to ignore fuel mileage--it's going to be lousy with whatever you use. Probably best to buy an older, cheap 454 truck, the low up-front cost will more than compensate for the fuel cost.

Too bad you have to use the same vehicle for work the rest of the time, you could probably just use a 4.3 for that.

rcb1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree on 6.5 reliability. We had a couple well over 200k. One was hydro locked at 265 crossing floodwaters and the other is still going. Relocate the pmd and replace the harmonic balancer every 75k... And be aware if you feel driveline vibration. I'm a Mopar guy and I've got a Cummins but I can say that the 6.5 is fine for what it is.

The 454 that was originally in the truck I have now threw a rod at 30k and so he replaced it under warranty with a 350.

Everything can have issues but the 6.5 is a good motor, just not a powerhouse in the world of diesels. The 454 is good too but require just as much attention as the 350tbi to get them to where they should have been. I was unimpressed with the 454 tbi for what I was expecting. But really the OP is more after better towing manners I expect and the ultra long wheelbase of a crewcab w/ 8ft box will be the ticket.

The 6.5 isn't a reliable engine. The 454 is and makes better torque. I ly thing th 6.5 is decent for is mpg that's it

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I disagree on 6.5 reliability. We had a couple well over 200k. One was hydro locked at 265 crossing floodwaters and the other is still going. Relocate the pmd and replace the harmonic balancer every 75k... And be aware if you feel driveline vibration. I'm a Mopar guy and I've got a Cummins but I can say that the 6.5 is fine for what it is.

The 454 that was originally in the truck I have now threw a rod at 30k and so he replaced it under warranty with a 350.

Everything can have issues but the 6.5 is a good motor, just not a powerhouse in the world of diesels. The 454 is good too but require just as much attention as the 350tbi to get them to where they should have been. I was unimpressed with the 454 tbi for what I was expecting. But really the OP is more after better towing manners I expect and the ultra long wheelbase of a crewcab w/ 8ft box will be the ticket.
Agree to disagree I guess. It's pretty well established on this site no matter what you do to a 6.5 they aren't a good engine. I'd avoid it at all costs. I'm glad you've had good LUCK though.