New tires wearing uneven?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I rebuilt the front end and got it aligned and the ‘hairs’ on the tires are wearing uneven. Im not sure if that means the tires are gonna wear uneven or not but on the rear the middle hairs are gone and the hairs on the inside and the outside are still there so I’m thinking maybe over inflation?. On the passenger front the hairs are gone on the outside and middle but still there on the inside. Are they wearing uneven or what? I just want these tires to last as long as possible

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the alignment is good and your pressure is good I wouldn't worry about it. Those little rubber "hairs" on new tires don't take much to wear off.

Reaction score
The patterns you describe sound like over/under inflation ... but it's really easy to rule those out. You've checked the pressure in all four tires, right? If it isn't that, and you don't have any unusual pull to one side or the other when driving, I wouldn't worry too hard yet. Worst case, you could drop a few bucks at an alignment shop to be sure.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the alignment is good and your pressure is good I wouldn't worry about it. Those little rubber "hairs" on new tires don't take much to wear off.
Sorry just now seeing this but the alignment should be good and the tire pressure is around 45-50 I’m not sure what the ideal pressure should be for a 4wd 2500 and cant seem to find anything on it however i do have an inflation chart from the tire manufacture

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The patterns you describe sound like over/under inflation ... but it's really easy to rule those out. You've checked the pressure in all four tires, right? If it isn't that, and you don't have any unusual pull to one side or the other when driving, I wouldn't worry too hard yet. Worst case, you could drop a few bucks at an alignment shop to be sure.
That’s what i was thinking too but I’m really not sure, i asked the alignment Guy what pressure he recommend in them because i want the tires to last as long as possible and he said he would air them to where he thinks it should be and it doesn’t have any pull but the steering is very ideal. I rebuilt the front end and replaced everything from knuckle to knuckle except centerlink and i changed the gearbox and rag joint and the steering is better than it was but still has a little bit of play in it and I’m not really sure what to think also the steering wheel is not perfectly centered but when you find the center it tracks straight down the road

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry just now seeing this but the alignment should be good and the tire pressure is around 45-50 I’m not sure what the ideal pressure should be for a 4wd 2500 and cant seem to find anything on it however i do have an inflation chart from the tire manufacture

There is a sticker inside the driver's door jamb from the factory that has the recommended tire pressures for your truck. Sometimes they wear off but if it's still there it will tell you.

45 sounds about right, that's what my K1500 Suburban calls for.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a sticker inside the driver's door jamb from the factory that has the recommended tire pressures for your truck. Sometimes they wear off but if it's still there it will tell you.

45 sounds about right, that's what my K1500 Suburban calls for.
I believe the sticker says 50 front and 80 rear but i never haul anything so i just put the same front and rear also this is kinda off topic but i went from a 245/75r16 to and 265/75 and i have 4.10 gears and the speedo is not off at all am i missing something? I thought if i went up in size it would at least throw it off a little bit

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the sticker says 50 front and 80 rear but i never haul anything so i just put the same front and rear also this is kinda off topic but i went from a 245/75r16 to and 265/75 and i have 4.10 gears and the speedo is not off at all am i missing something? I thought if i went up in size it would at least throw it off a little bit

Are you sure that 80psi isn't for the spare? They usually recommend that you pump the spares way up so they still have some air in them if they sit unused for a long time. Some trucks will recommend different tire pressures for front and rear on the sticker but it's usually more like a 5-10psi difference max. 30psi difference from front to rear sounds extreme.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure that 80psi isn't for the spare? They usually recommend that you pump the spares way up so they still have some air in them if they sit unused for a long time. Some trucks will recommend different tire pressures for front and rear on the sticker but it's usually more like a 5-10psi difference max. 30psi difference from front to rear sounds extreme.
I am pretty sure thats what it says i will check tomorrow but it does say rear 80 not sure if it means spare or what