New Paint for Hattie(92 Z71)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I’ve always heard mixed reviews about Maaco paint jobs, and for a serious paint job I might go somewhere else. But my 92 has needed paint since I bought it in 2012, and I finally have come to a place financially that I can start to afford to really spend some decent money on this old thing. So I went ahead and got the basic Maaco respray
You must be registered for see images attach
paint job.

I paid $1132 for this paint job, and I must say that I was impressed. It’s far from perfect, and they obviously took some shortcuts in the sanding department, but I’m pretty happy with it. I went ahead and replaced the grille and headlights when I got it home.

You guys can ask me any questions you might have, and ill do my best to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the pictures above didn’t post in order at all, but you get the point I’m sure.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks fantastic. Wish there was inexpensive splash and dash paint shops here

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good ! My father in law has three classic cars, and he has had them all three done at Maaco he got their upper end priced paint jobs and I must say they look good !

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the paint looks fine. It’s the sanding I should’ve done in places. They really didn’t take the time to do anything but rough it up enough to make the new paint stick. I removed the trim, but didn’t sand the glue residue off because I assumed they would when they sanded it down...WRONG... So that’s the main advice I would give- do your own sanding and smoothing for existing paint chips and anything that needs to be evened out, unless you plan to pay them to do all of that.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Simple, clean, and damn good looking. I'm in love! Some of the later style Z71 5-spoke rims would look killer on there too!

How much did this job cost you? My 96 K2500 has a few spots where the clear coat is gone, and it's irritating me every time I look at it.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had mine done in 2013. It was $865, with the strips on the hood. The clear coat was peeling off. My truck still looks as good as it did the day I took in home. I do take care of my truck though. I wipe it down with a wet then a dry small towel 3 or 4 times a week, and I wax it once a month or so. Just had the bed liner done (Linex) in December. I had to wait for 6 months to wax mine the first time. If you do decide to do a bed liner, be careful. When they did mine, it peeled the paint when the removed the razor tape. I did the repair my self. It came out grate. You can't tell there was ever an issue after I fixed the peeled paint. White is easy to work with.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bed fix

Last edited:

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
years ago a friend of mine had his Camaro painted at Color King a slight step up or maybe step down from Earl "The Pearl" Scheib and the paint job came out great, thing is we block sanded it ourselves and prepped it and I think he paid a little extra for a better quality metallic paint... and i'm not knocking Earl because I flipped VW bugs back in the day and I would prep them and Earl would paint them...

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
years ago a friend of mine had his Camaro painted at Color King a slight step up or maybe step down from Earl "The Pearl" Scheib and the paint job came out great, thing is we block sanded it ourselves and prepped it and I think he paid a little extra for a better quality metallic paint... and i'm not knocking Earl because I flipped VW bugs back in the day and I would prep them and Earl would paint them...
Like everything else in the world paint jobs has gone out of this world ! I started out getting estimates, and blue was in good shape just had original paint with hood and top clear coat starting to bake. It had typical dings and chips but no major body work and no rust at all, was a very straight truck. Now keep in mind I asked for decent BC/CC Urethane quotes, first shop I went to did not studder at all when he said 5 K next was 4200 and the one I settled on was 2400.00 and he did a great job and was the only paint & body guy that I ever dealt with that was on the money of ready time. He had it three weeks and did a super job and I picked it up on the exact day he said it would be ready.
But from what I have seen from Maaco with my father in laws cars he has gotten quality work for a little less.
If you go to Maaco looking for a 500.00 paint job you will get what you pay for for sure, I have seen lot cars run in for the quickie el cheapo job and they look ok standing 250 ft away .