New owner, 2000 Z71 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck. whenever you order parts, order for a 1998. Your truck was made with the left over gmt 400 parts. In 2000, the gmt 800 platform was out. However, the 2500, 3500, were all gmt 400 until 2001. In 2000, you can only get the 1500 platform gmt 400 in a z71 4wd tahoe, or a limited tahoe which was 2wd. Both of them had colored bumpers, and model specific wheels and were one year only. The value of your truck will only go up so don't ****** it. Welcome to the forum.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've got a 99 K3500 and very rarely have trouble finding the right parts, unless it's aftermarket accessory, or performance type stuff. If you're looking for regular replacement parts, you shouldn't have any trouble typing your actual year..... well maybe not Amazon, but their catalog is crappy. It's better to search by part number with Amazon in my opinion.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice truck. whenever you order parts, order for a 1998. Your truck was made with the left over gmt 400 parts. In 2000, the gmt 800 platform was out. However, the 2500, 3500, were all gmt 400 until 2001. In 2000, you can only get the 1500 platform gmt 400 in a z71 4wd tahoe, or a limited tahoe which was 2wd. Both of them had colored bumpers, and model specific wheels and were one year only. The value of your truck will only go up so don't ****** it. Welcome to the forum.
Kinda. Crew cabs remained 400 thru 2000, 3500HD 400's were produced thru 02. Just to confuse things more you could get a 800 3500HD or a 400 3500HD in 01 and 02.
Z71 Tahoes were available in 99 and 00, all the Tahoe Limiteds were sold as 00 models but some were made early enough in 99 to have been m/y 99s. Both had painted diesel bumpers with fog lights in the holes.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey-welcome. I also have 99 Z71-ask away. Just to let you know-rockauto lists out trucks as 99 Tahoe(regular-no z71 option there)-you'll see 2 engine options 5.7 and 6.5-it's easier to find parts this way. And it's usually the most expensive parts lol
Other parts sources-look 98 Tahoe. If the lising is showing 5.3 engine option,it's not your part.

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beware of leaks in the back.

Keep an eye on those barn doors, the weatherstripping around them forms a narrow channel for water to pass as the water makes its way down from the roof along the L&R extreme edge of the barn doors. Too, the weatherstrip doesn't always seal well in that same area so, if presented with a lot of water (think: parked uphill in heavy rain, water runs down the roof into channel along the top of the barn doors, then down along the L&R sides), pressure builds in those narrow channels on either side and water finds its way into the cabin. Too, if the weatherstrip across the top of the doors isn't sealing well, water ingress will occur.

You might want to lift the rear sill just inside the open doors (it's Philips-screwed down) and peek under the carpet to see if it's dry. If not dry, you've definitely got a leak. If dry, you might have a leak but you don't know it yet.

I've had this problem on my 1998 Suburban and diagnosed it with a garden hose (to create a flow of water), and a strip of paper (to see where and how well the weatherstrip was sealing), and a bright flashlight (to actually see the water sneak past the weatherstripping into the cabin).

Advice: Open those barn doors (in fact, ALL doors) and clean away the leaves, needles and any other debris that collects near the weatherstrip and impedes water drainage; doing so will clear the channel through which water needs to flow, and help prevent water from getting in.

$0.02

Welcome to "GMT400 Utility" ownership :)
As to water leak round the back there's more to it unfortunately-even if the seal is good and water doesn't leak in this way, it finds it's way under the seal near the floor-not over. You gotta seal under the seal if it makes sense. My cargo carpet is out to this day. When it gets warmer I will have to separate the floor bit form the sides and use velcro or something to hold it together(floor bit is held be the floor anchor points so it will not move) cause I'm fed up of removibg back seat just to get the carpet out. Luckily the carpet is divided into cab section and cargo/back seat section so not too bad.

Banshman

Reaction score
The "Z71 appearance package" as I call it was only in 2000, I actually bought all the parts from the dealer and installed on my 1997. I had to cut and modify the vertical pushbar mounts due to my body lift, but came out mint. I may have the only "2000" 2dr Z71 tahoe! LOL. I love messing with people at car shows