New member in NM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for a good knowledge base to help me tune and modify my 1990 C1500. Have been reading threads for the last couple hours so I figured I would join up. Got the truck from my dad when he passed away three years ago and hauled it back down here from WA. Odometer stopped working at 280K, and the transmission indicator on the dash is stuck in park, but surprisingly the power windows and cruise control work just fine. Just recently started working on it and am having a blast working on it and driving it. Think its pretty stock when I got it with the exception of an upgraded cat back 3" single exhaust. Y pipe has the "wrinkled" bends so pretty sure its factory and will be upgraded soon along with some ceramic coated shorty headers. So far all I have done is:

Replace intake manifold gasket, cleaned up the manifold and heads, replaced thermostat, temp sensor and EGR.
Replace distributor, distributor cap and rotor (old one was so rusted it fell apart when I pulled it out)

New high flow water pump, new belt, new heater core, new radiator and all new coolant hoses (stupid plastic fitting on the back of the intake broke so put in a brass nipple and new hose to heater core)

TBI rebuild with homemade 1/4" injector pod riser and 1" Spectre TBI spacer
Removed stock air intake and replaced with a 14x3" K&N open element air cleaner mounted on top of a JEGS TBI Air Flow Enhancer (salad bowl)

Certainly has that kick in the seat momentum off the line now that it can get some more air in. Short list of future work is full suspension and steering rebuild (debating on lowering it a couple inches) and as I said shorty headers and a Y pipe. At some point I'm sure ill pull the motor and rebuild it, will have to see what the future holds lol Plan on leaving the dented peeling paint body as is with maybe a new coat of matte clear to keep it from rusting. Going for a mild street sleeper.

Anyway just thought I would say hi.

Last edited:

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for a good knowledge base to help me tune and modify my 1990 C1500. Have been reading threads for the last couple hours so I figured I would join up. Got the truck from my dad when he passed away three years ago and hauled it back down here from WA. Odometer stopped working at 280K, and the transmission indicator on the dash is stuck in park, but surprisingly the power windows and cruise control work just fine.

Anyway just thought I would say hi.

ODO and gear indicator might mean that the cluster was pulled, maybe to replace a bulb and not connected properly when replaced. I suggest reading a thread or two on that and maybe upgrading the cluster bulbs to LED and hook the gear indicator back up when you put it back together. That should be a simple task. If the ODO is messed up then easy enough to get another cluster and replace the whole thing.

Welcome to the forum. This is the seat of all (well most) GMT-400 knowledge . If these guys don't know it, it may not be worth knowing.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ODO and gear indicator might mean that the cluster was pulled, maybe to replace a bulb and not connected properly when replaced. I suggest reading a thread or two on that and maybe upgrading the cluster bulbs to LED and hook the gear indicator back up when you put it back together. That should be a simple task. If the ODO is messed up then easy enough to get another cluster and replace the whole thing.

Welcome to the forum. This is the seat of all (well most) GMT-400 knowledge . If these guys don't know it, it may not be worth knowing.
Thanks for the tips, will pull the cluster on my next days off and take a look.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Figured I should put in at least one pic of the old girl. Only one I have on my phone, loaded up in Olympia ready for the trip to her new home in NM
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: