New guy with a Z71...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

logikfive

Reaction score
Well I'm new here, hopefully gonna find a bunch out about this truck as I'm more of a Mopar guy but I can settle for a Chevy :p

Always been a fan of this body style, and ran across my '98 Z71 5.7L Vortec 4x4 about as cheap as they can be found. I paid $225 (yes, you read right) for it needing a rear axle. It's locked up TIGHT. Putting the truck in gear it will load the driveshaft, so I'm certain the issue is in the rear axle. Haven't pulled the cover yet but I'm assuming the previous owner ran it out of fluid as the cover is wet.

Needs a whole lot of cleaning (interior is FILTHY.. almost one of the worst I've seen, I will be pulling everything out, and cleaning) Needs some rust repair on the passenger side rear wheel well and drivers side cab corner. All the other rusty looking spots are just typical peeling GM paint. I'll take care of that with some rust converter and paint. I'll also most likely buff the entire truck as the paint has kind of lost it's shine due to lack of care, but I've detailed worse.

I don't expect the truck to be perfect, I'll end up using it as a daily driver/beater. Gonna throw some mud terrains on it and some OEM wheel flares. Other than that it'll probably stay pretty much stock.

Anyway, here are a couple pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway, as I said I'm a Dodge guy so I gotta throw in atleast one pic of my other toy '99 Durango 5.9L. Wouldn't trade this truck for anything except maybe a CTD Ram :p

Anyway, anyone have a 14 bolt 3.73 axle I can buy? :think:

Last edited:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome aboard man! looks like you have a solid project to start with! Also I have a 14 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears in, in good condition for sale!

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!
That truck's not bad, albeit dirty as F on the inside lol.

Like Mean Green said, don't bother with another 10 bolt rear, go with a14 semi float.

logikfive

Reaction score
Thanks guys, as far as I could tell with a quick count the rear axle in the truck is already a 14-bolt? The RPO in the glovebox is "GT4", I did not see "G80" though.

Mean Green, too bad you're all the way in Minnesota! :( That's about a 12 hour drive from here.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
When I first got mine:
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]
Latest pic:
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]
Some things sone since this picture was taken, just dont have recent pics.