New booster or hydro swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I’ve got a 96 k1500 and I know without a doubt in my mind the brake booster is shot. I’m wondering should I just replace the vacuum booster or do the hydro swap? I still have the abs.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a 96 k1500 and I know without a doubt in my mind the brake booster is shot. I’m wondering should I just replace the vacuum booster or do the hydro swap? I still have the abs.
If you're pulling the booster anyway, I'd pull the trigger and swap to hydro boost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
If you're pulling the booster anyway, I'd pull the trigger and swap to hydro boost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I’m leaning more towards doing that, don’t I need to by pass the abs ?

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I would much rather get rid of it. I just can’t find a write up for a 96 model.

Joelvv

Reaction score
96 model has the same ABS as the 95+ trucks. Just remove the module, get a prop valve and install some lines. You won't have EVO, so the one line will be different. I believe you need 92005 instead of 92004. You're line goes directly into the pump. The EVO line goes into the EVO solenoid the opposite way.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would much rather get rid of it. I just can’t find a write up for a 96 model.

I personally would not eliminate it. You will want the ABS after you swap to hydroboost. I used the 1ton master cylinder that came with my hydroboost when I swapped by 1/2 ton Express van. I had to avoid an idiot that merged over 3 lanes at 35 mph the first week after I put the hydroboost on. On dry pavement I locked the rear tires at 70 mph enough to kick in the ABS.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I sent my dually sideways at 60 to stop for a red light that I was challenging. I think a single bore master with a 6 lug rear end would be OK, just don't pair it with the aggressive HD brakes.