New affordable 96-98 lower steering shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I thought in the event of a wreck there was a concern/warning about these retrofitted steering shafts?

GM changed the design of the steering shafts midway through GMT-400 production. It's okay to swap the XJ shaft in place of the early shaft, but not the later shaft. The later shaft ends up with 3 joints in it, if the XJ shaft is installed. The middle part of the shaft would be unsupported, and could move out of place with steering input instead of transferring the torque to the lower shaft and steering gear.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So back to my original question, has anyone used this particular shaft over say the Dorman one?

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed the flaming river on my 96 and I think this eliminator would work as its a simple bolt in? I will take a few pics of my set up tomorrow to confirm.

carguy77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed one of those unbalanced engineering kits in my 94 z28 years ago. I didn't notice any difference. But my wheel didn't have any slop to begin with. I just did it as a preventative measure.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I installed one of those unbalanced engineering kits in my 94 z28 years ago. I didn't notice any difference. But my wheel didn't have any slop to begin with. I just did it as a preventative measure.

I have one in my 93 as well. If I ever LS swap I can donate it to a truck.