New 1996 CCLB 3500 454. Help set my expectations on power or is there a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I checked some places around me and I cant find the 41-933 plugs locally and I can get them online for about 7 bucks a piece. I can get the 12 plugs locally for about 4.50 a piece. Is there a certain direction I should go?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Both O'Reilly and Advance carry the 41-933 for like $6/ea, should be able to find that anywhere (though you didn't mention your location.) Reason the RapidFire is cheaper - the 41-933 is double platinum, RapidFire are single platinum. Meaning - the double plat both the electrode and pad are platinum, on the single plat just the pad is platinum. The double platinum will last longer. Guess I could have been more clear when I called the RapidFire an "upgrade" plug that means an upgrade over traditional copper plugs that were used before platinums got popular.

Richard

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Ill tell you what i had a 454 on my crew cab and i was not impressed honestly im pretty sure my 350s have more power

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah gotcha, I will give them a shot, I forgot to check O'Reilly and we don't have Advanced here.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of help do you mean? I want reliability for a change haha, the diesels have worn me out

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm, I always left my Vortec 7.4's stock and they would pull down a freaking house. '96 GMC C3500 ext cab dually, '98 Chevy C3500 crew cab dually, the '94 3500HD I swapped everything over from a '96 C3500, I've owned a few. Perception is everything though and it will never have power comparable to that heavily modded diesel of yours. If it's not in top notch shape though of course it's not going to live up to its potential.

Richard

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly. I want to make sure this thing is performing "normally" so I can set my expectations.

Something can appear to be slower or not as "powerful" in normal driving conditions but maybe gearing and drive ratio keep it from feeling a lot different when pulling a load which is my biggest concern.

I know I won't be able to tow my 27ft bumper pull trailer the same speed up a grade as with my diesel and that's fine... As long as this truck can pull it well I will be happy. If I'm floored up grades going 30 I will be disgruntled if I know it's because there is something potentially robbing power from me

megaburb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think a cam and some exhaust wake them up. Stock I think they are doggie... Speaking of exhaust, does your truck still have a cat? It might be robbing your power if its starting to plug... I feel you on the diesel thing, my 7.3 makes around 400 and sucks to start, have to shut off to talk around and makes me look like an a$$ when it blows a thunderstorm out the tail pipe pulling on a grade. Fun truck but just not what I thought it would be when I started...

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It does still have the stock cats on. I will consider the cam after I make sure this thing is running right and I have driven it for a while so I know how it works