New 1996 CCLB 3500 454. Help set my expectations on power or is there a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man, I like it. So with the key on it pressurized to 55psi and drops to 50psi with the key off. Idling it sits about 48psi and revved up the highest it spikes is about 55psi

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does seem a bit low. Since you've replaced the filter already, I'd say the pump or regulator could be suspect.

Richard

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any guess on which would be most likely?

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Richard, did you watch the video or look at the numbers? Also, time wise and skill, which one would be easier to tackle for me. I am handy and mechanically inclined but I haven't ever done a fuel pump or pull the intake manifold on any car. I want to learn to do all that I can on my truck unless it's something best left for professionals.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
A lot of good advice here. As far as your fuel pressure, it should not bleed at all for at least 5 minutes, mine doesn't move until at least 15. The factory injectors and regulator are notorious for causing starting, stumbling, and general fueling issues. I'm running 24lb LS1 injectors and a regulator for a 350 in mine and it loves it. They actually run about 28lb, since the 24lb rating is at 3 bar and with that regulator I'm running 4 bar. I run NGK TR55 plugs gapped at .045. I have tried pretty much every brand, heat range, and metal type there is in the past 3 months, and those are by far the best ones. The Delco platinums did second best, but wore out faster. I went 250-300 miles on each set of plugs. Would have saved a lot of time, money, and headache just sticking with the TR55s in the first place. If you're not comfortable knocking the gap down that much on the long ground strap the TR55 has (I believe they are pre-gapped at .060), the TR5 is the exact same plug with a shorter strap, I believe its pre-gapped at .035. Also, your small blocks seem quicker because they're not pushing nearly the weight of that CCSB. My Sierra is 4600lbs with me in it. My last dyno run was (unknowingly) run at 12 psi below spec fuel pressure and a pinion bearing trying to weld itself together. Crank power was 325/438 (factory is 290/410), which doesn't seem like much, but thats right around what an early 6.0 pushes, and in a lighter truck. Even then I was embarassing every Mustang and rice rocket that wanted to roll, and wasnt outrun too badly by LS1s. And the LS trucks couldn't touch me, either. I'll have it re-dynoed soon now that my axle and fuel pressure are fixed, but my point is that without about another 40-60 horses and ft-lbs, it will feel slower than your halfies or SUVs, but that's completely possible without a lot of cash.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Watched your pressure test video. The key-on pressure drop looks like classic Leaky Injector Syndrome, and the way its acting while running is a combination of that and the regulator. Id say its time for both. Not hard to do, the toughest part is getting the EGR tube out of the intake, which I have been lucky enough on everyting so far that I haven't had a stuck one. My EGR and tube are deleted, and I had my upper intake off in less than five minutes...all six times that I had it off. Once you have the intake tube and all of the plugs and vac hoses disconnected, its just 8 bolts and it lifts right off. Also a good idea to do cap, rotor, and wires while you're there

You must be registered for see images attach

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since mine did bleed down a few psi in less than a minute and I didn't know to leave it on longer would that drop indicate whether it is the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator?

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
The pump only runs an initial prime without the engine running. Its the regulator or an injector(s)

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, you beat me to the reply. So if I understand you correctly, the drop and lower pressure I am experiencing is most likely due to pressure regulator and possibly injectors too? Does that mean that the test valve is post regulator and injectors so you are seeing what pressure actually passed through the fuel system instead of pre regulator where you would see strictly the pressure provided by the pump? If so, is there any way to test the pump pressure easily to see if it is the problem prior to the pressure regulator? Your description sounds pretty straight forward but for some reason I am really intimidated by it, gotta learn sometime though.