New 1996 CCLB 3500 454. Help set my expectations on power or is there a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm don't know how to do that so I think I will just do the ones I have to.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As an update, since switching plugs I have zero stumble at idle. My injectors should be here tomorrow and my gaskets, regulator, cap, and rotor came yesterday. I plan on tackling the injectors and everything on Saturday. I have heard that the egr tube is a pain when taking the manifold off. The problem is that I have no idea what that is... Can anyone post up a pic of what that is or why it is hard to get the manifold off because of it? I'm a noob to this but I'm excited and a little nervous about doing it

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's that tube on the driver's side of the intake with the insulating wrap on it, comes out right behind the EGR valve and goes down to the exhaust manifold. The coupling nut can seize up, but generally the tricky part is when you try to undo the coupling nut, the whole fitting spins instead. Then you try to put a backup wrench on the fitting and there's not enough room for a regular wrench...it's a PITA unless you have a skinny wrench. I handled it using a very narrow jawed Channel Lock wrench as a backup wrench on the fitting, and a regular box end wrench on the coupling nut. Grip both wrenches together to "crack" the coupling nut loose; I used a 2x4 scrap sitting on the valve cover as a backstop, if that makes sense...to keep the backup wrench (and the fitting) from spinning as I broke the coupling nut loose.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you go to the link in my sig and pick the black '94 3500HD project page, scroll down to nearly the end, that's where I did the injectors, regulator, and also installed some adjustable roller tip rockers.

Richard

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I soak the EGR tube fitting with SeaFoam Deep Creep when I remove them (I do a lot of small block intake removals). After a good 20 minute soak every one of them have come off easily

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately my injectors didn't come and won't be here until tomorrow. I have surgery on my wrist first thing Tuesday morning so I guess I won't be able to try this for a couple weeks. I saw a flashpaq go up for sale locally for 100 bucks and grabbed that. I was SHOCKED at the difference it makes! It awakened the truck in all sorts of ways. Hopefully with the new parts I put on in a couple weeks that you guys suggested it will be running awesome for a long time

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, I soaked that sucker in PB Blaster before even trying. It wasn't seized on mine, just incredibly tight, so the fitting wanted to come out of the intake instead of the coupling nut loosening. The width of the flats on the fitting prevented using a normal wrench because the typical thickness of a wrench that large would bridge the gap between fitting flats and coupling nut flats...so I had to hunt for a very narrow wrench to use as a backup on the fitting. By the way, the Channel Lock adjustable wrench I used for that is part # 8WCB, very handy tool to have. https://www.channellock.com/product.aspx?zpid=441 Opens wide (like 1.5") and has narrow jaws. The wrench size I used on the coupling nut was 1-3/8" though it might actually be some stupid metric size like 34mm or 35mm. The 1-3/8" worked fine.

Richard

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Be sure to specify plenum gasket, the manifold set only comes with the lower gaskets. And get a regulator for a 350, the one they list for a 454 is maxed at 50 PSI. Heres a current listing on eBay you should really jump on for injectors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24LB-Flow-M...027?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad31e637b

I'm very curious how you got this setup to work? Was that with a tune or completely stock PCM.

Reason I ask is I bought those injectors and a 350 regulator and my truck now smokes blue, runs rougher than a diesel, and the puddle from the exhaust is flammable. Prior to this with my leaky injectors it ran normally.

After thinking about it, aren't 350's running a higher pressure, combined with a larger injector wouldn't that put the flow rate of the injector too far out of spec?

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh boy, I hope I won't have any troubles but I'm worried now especially with this being my first time

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm very curious how you got this setup to work? Was that with a tune or completely stock PCM.

Reason I ask is I bought those injectors and a 350 regulator and my truck now smokes blue, runs rougher than a diesel, and the puddle from the exhaust is flammable. Prior to this with my leaky injectors it ran normally.

After thinking about it, aren't 350's running a higher pressure, combined with a larger injector wouldn't that put the flow rate of the injector too far out of spec?

What year was the truck you tried this on and I assume it was a 454?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score

Im running a tuned 411, and you raise an excellent point that I overlooked. You should be ok with the larger injectors and a 3 bar regulator on a stock tune, but the 4 bar regulator will raise the injector output to 28lbs, which is too high to run without a tune. I apologize for that. You may be ok running the 4 bar regulator with that Flashpaq, brycebba, though I have no experience with it, I went straight from stock box to Black Bear tuned 411. Im sure a quick call or email to them will answer that. Our stock injectors are rated at 19lbs at 3 bar, though the original regulator runs at 4 bar, which puts them approximately around 23-24 lbs, so running the 24 pounders at 3 bar will be normal.

Last edited: