Need Sub Enclosure Advice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm starting the collection of parts in preparation for my Audio upgrade that will happen late Spring or early Summer and I need help finding a sub enclosure that will ideally go under my rear seat and be down firing. I've not made a sub enclosure before but could with a good diagram of how it should be constructed and it's dimensions. I also see some that are already made but not sure which route to go. In my '94 I had a MTX Thunderform under my rear seat. Nice enclosure but I'd rather not pay $400 just for an enclosure if I can avoid it :lol:

Anyway, here's the sub I'm getting...
http://www.jlaudio.com/10w3v3-2-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92150

Any help y'all can give me would be awesome :worship:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it comes to subs you need to know what space you have available to you. You need to know what size box you can have before deciding on a sub. They, subs, all have different requirements for air space in the box depending on the style box it can differ as well. When you find out how many internal cubic feet for the type of enclosure you want then and only then go shopping for a sub to fit it. You can adjust the enclosed size to better match the sub requirements after you find the sub that will fit closest to your available space.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

Reaction score
Personally I would go with a sundown sa-12 woofer. It is about $50 cheaper and will hit harder just make sure that the box will be deep enough and have atleast .5 cubic feet of airspace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's an option from SuperCrewSound. I've used them in the past with good results. This box is a little small for the mounting depth listed on your sub, though. One thing to consider with the box volumes, the deeper the mounting depth of your sub, the more air space you lose simply because it's filled up by part of the speaker. For small sealed enclosures like this you might want to think about a shallow mount sub just to maximize usable space.

http://www.supercrewsound.com/88ChevyECsingle.html

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I don't think you are going to cram a JL w3 in that box... the mounting depth on that driver is quite deep. Take a tape measure to the box to check your depth before buying a driver if you haven't already.

The deepest I could go was under 5" on my Thunderform, I ended up with an Alpine Type E 10" and it barely fit.